DPN Gap blues

No matter how tight I pull my darn stitches I can’t get rid of these gaps…What am I doing wrong? I pulled so tight on most of these that it was actually a chore getting into the stitches on the next go round.

The gaps look really bad…really bad…I pulled really really tight but it still ends up stretching out…

Those are called ladders and they are very common. I found that if I kind of held the needles together after each needle it helps keep them tight. It is hard at first though so don’t be discouraged.

Sometimes the tighter you knit the first st on the needle, the more it gaps. Some say to pull the 2nd st tighter, and I’ve wondered about doing it to the last st, but I don’t use dpns enough to try it out.

This is going to sound counter intuitive but it worked for me doing cables.

When you insert the right needle into the stitch, before the gap do not stretch it, after the gap stretch it as far as it will go for about 3 stitches and then slowly stretch the stitch less and less until you get to the end of that DPN where you’re not stretching at all.

The reason tightening the stitch you are making doesn’t work is because the problem is on the rows below that stitch. Since the problem remains below, the flexing of the gap allows the stitch you did tight to pull loose at that point.

Do that in addition to what Jan said and it should help greatly.

You can poke, push and pull around on those that are already ladders and make them look better.

I don’t get what you mean, what do I stretch and not stretch?

What Sue said.
Knit the first stitch on the new needle as usual. Don’t try to pull it tight.
Then, when you insert the needle to do the second stitch, give it a gentle tug. That tightens up the first stitch and helps bridge the gap.

Washing and blocking the FO also does a lot to make things look more even.

Mike meant stretch (gently) the sts that are on the left needle, the ones you made the round before.

well I will certainly try that…if nothing else I am only making them for myself…

strike that…I wore my single sock to work today and two people have asked me if I will make them a pair…guess they don’t look too bad lol

well, i dont see how that will help…but at the same time I don’t see how half the stuff I knit is going to come together until I actually do it.

So I will try all of these suggestions…and we’ll see what happens :slight_smile:

If you stretch the first on the needle from the previous row, it would help take up the looseness from that gap. And so on. But really, most uneven sts are taken care of by washing when you get finished, so after a couple wearings and washings it won’t be as noticeable to you as it is now.

good to know…good to know…it’s also good to know that i’m not actually doing something wrong lol…i just need to practice!

I said it was counter intuitive.

I was getting bad ladders up the left side of my cables before I figured this out. All the things I did for DPN ladders didn’t work or were impossible since I wasn’t using DPNs.

Yes, “gently”, you’re pulling the yarn through like you were tightening a loose stitch and chasing it down the row, not stretching the yarn.
Don’t stretch all the way down the needle to the next gap.
But don’t get in the habit of depositing the “loose” at the same stitch count. It won’t have the gap between needles to work on but it won’t look right nonetheless.

Another thing you can do is to change the positions of the gaps between DPNs so those loose stitches aren’t always in the same place.
If the ladder is,
^ – ^ ^ ^
^ ^ – ^ ^
^ ^ ^ – ^
it’s not as noticeable as
^ ^ – ^ ^
^ ^ – ^ ^
^ ^ – ^ ^
And since the gap isn’t always in the same place it doesn’t become an ever growing problem with the loose stitches below stretching out the stitches above.