Doubling Fingering = 3 weight?

Hello again friends!

Has anyone used a doubled fingering with a different 3 weight yarn before?

I am getting ready to start a really large project (see below). Unless I suddenly find a good dark navy in 3 , I want to double Michael’s Woolike navy because it is incredibly soft. The charts say that this will equal a 3. Will it really? I have already bought Lion Baby soft in a sort of guacamole color for the gator (per request) and want to do the stripes in raspberry and navy, as the baby will be a girl.

I live far from knitting stores so I want to be sure before I buy a ton of the yarn, that I’m not going to end up with a mess.

Has anyone doubled a fingering and combined it with a 3 weight before?

(Going shopping for yarn this afternoon along the way from the Bay Area home to Davis, if anyone has a store suggestion! :slight_smile: )

MANY thanks,

JM

A doubled fingering is a little lighter than a #3 weight yarn. It’s more of a #2 weight. All of these classifications are a bit elastic however so a slightly heavier fingering could in fact be closer to a DK or light worsted weight like Lion Baby Soft. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try. Maybe buy a single ball of the fingering and test it out.

I suggest doing a gauge swatch first to see how it knits up.

Yes, of course, sigh… but I was hoping to have actually been able to buy the yarn on my way home… oh well, these things happen. But it sure is a mystery why no one makes a soft true navy in a DK. You would think that would be very popular!

Thanks again!

JM