Double sided words, how to

I want to make a soccer scarf that has a few patterns as well as some writing. I was thinking Intarsia would be a good method to use, but this would cause the words to be backwards on one side. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I knit two pieces and sew them together or is there something else I could do?

You could do that, but I think a nicer look would be to knit a tube and put the pattern on both sides. You could do a purl stitch at each edge for a fold.

Knitting two pieces and seaming them with mattress st would work and look good. I like Jan’s suggestion for knitting the tube which is a very neat solution. Intarsia in the round is a little tricky but there are sites that show the steps (http://scrubberbum.typepad.com/moth_heaven/2008/02/tutorial-intars.html) and also an explanation of the steps in an older thread here.

I didn’t even think about knitting in the round. That is a great suggestion. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I didn’t actually think of intarsia in the round I was thinking you could do it as fair isle, but it does kind of depend on the yarn and pattern I guess.

Or you could work it double-width with a purl at the center to fold it and only have one long seam to mattress. You could also knit two parts and knit the long sides together for a more decorative edge.

Pick up stitches along each long edge and then work a 3-needle bind off. You could have the seam on the inside or the outside and it would still look good.

You could double-knit the scarf, which will create a reversible fabric. When you get to the words there is a way to knit both sides so the words are legible and not reversed.

My son has a long scarf with an English soccer team logo on it. It’s done in stockinette, fair isle, in a tube. I believe it may have been knitted with a size 0 or 1 needle, if you’re that patient. I know I’m not. A size 3 or 4 is about as low as I’ll go. Sounds like a limbo contest. lol