Double Knitting

Does anyone have experience with double knitting?
Amy has a tutorial video that shows how to do it, but I’d like to know if anyone out there has actually done it.
My idea is to make a baby bib with double knitting so that it’s stockinette on both sides, with a simple pattern, or maybe just solids. I ordered organic cotton in 3 shades and want to do something small and pretty, but challenging. And organic cottons are so IN! It’s a baby gift idea, to knit a gift, but not necessarily a sweater. Something different, for a change. If anybody has any suggestions or experience, I’d love to read from you!
Michele.:heart:

You could try something like the potholder pattern, but a little larger and put a strap on it.

are potholders often done in double knit stitch? thanks for the idea!

I don’t know if a lot of potholders are done in double knitting or not. I made one that way once. Here is a link to one that is on this site that has a heart on it. It may be the one Amy shows on her video, but this is the pattern. Maybe you have seen it already.

Double knitting is my favorite.

Are you a Continental or English knitter?
I’m not good at English but I’m really terrible trying to double knit with English. I even tried Continental for one strand and English for the other without much joy.
It flows along pretty easy with Continental using 2 fingers like in the video.

How challenging? You aren’t limited to stockinette on both sides and you can carry the 3rd color along in the middle.
For instance you k3 with color A, but instead of p3 with color B k3 with color C. Then p3-c, p3-b. (Naturally you’re alternating between side A and B each stitch and not just knitting 3 in a row and then purling 3 in a row. *ka, kc x3. *pc, pb x3.)
Carry that along for 3 rows and then switch so you get a textured checkerboard with A in stockinette with C in purl on one side and B in stockinette with C in purl on the other.

Keeping it 2 layer is all in how you carry your strands from stitch to stitch.
It’s MUCH easier to stockinette both sides because then you carry the strands together.
I’ve got the two finger, strand b in the back-kb, strand a to the back-ka, both strands forward pb b to the back, pa, finger pattern down pretty good from doing socks (which gives both socks facing out so if it was a linked double knit you would have a stk side and a p side) and I think adding another strand would be a headache.
Other than “in the middle” I’m not sure how you would hold the extra strand or carry it without actually trying it.
But if you want challenging something like that would qualify.

I think for a first double knit attempt I would stick with easy. Find a pattern you want, double the amount of cast on if it’s not a double knit pattern (or regular amount and do a front loop back loop type thing), call one color your front and have at it.

Not all potholders are done in double knitting; I just thought of the heart one (thank you merigold for the link) because it’s close in size to a baby bib.

I remembered I dropped this bookmark . It’s about the only place I’ve found that really explains everything.
You may also find these socks to be helpful.
I also found this which is kind of what I was explaining above.

there are several techniques that are called double knitting…

[B]1–[/B]simple (single yarn=tube)
[B]2 --[/B]2 yarns, 2 objects (sock in sock as in Anna Karinina)
[B]3–[/B]2 yarns, (2 colors) interlocked, (not a tube!) worked in a 'fair isle" type patterns.
[B]3 A[/B]–(same as type 3, but uses stitch patterns (ie knits an purls on both sides)
[B]4–[/B]2 yarns (strands) Twinned knitting (not stocking knit on both sides)
[B]5–[/B]2 yarn/2 color Brioche ribbing (aka Shaker or fisherman’s rib)
[B]6-- [/B]Other
I’ve done all of them.

I presume you will want to do type 1 (simple -stocking knit both sides) or type 3 (interlocking–also stocking knit both sides

i have an 8 part tutorial on my block (with lots of links to You Tube and other videos) starting here

there are some good tutorials on Ravelry (if you are on ravelry) and at least 2 ravelry groups for double knititng… (and members of the groups often have free patterns or tutorials on their blogs!

try googling double knitting (another way to find my tutorial)–there are lots of posting (in lots of places)

I found out I was double knitting by accident on a recent project. I made a blanket buddy from a one skein wonder book. The head portion was done p1 sl1 back and forth. This created a seamless pocket for stuffing the head. It was stockinette on the inside, purl on the outside. It got me excited to make double knit mittens. Our LYS has a dbl knit mitten class but I should be able to save the class $ and do one myself.
I assume I could just doe k1 sl1 for the same outcome.
:thumbsup:

That #1 is pretty slick. I know I wouldn’t like it because I’ve tried “K1 slip1” to do 2 strand but I have to appreciate how impressive it would be to be knitting a tube on a straight needle.

not just a tube (but i’ve done tubes)but gloves too…

start with a noose cast on (emily ocker is one, but there are others)

cast on 4, increase in the first few rounds till you have 12…
(knit a finger…)
repeat 3 more times (knit all the fingers first)

then join the fingers, (4stitches for front, 4 for back 2/2 for 'sides)

then knit the hand, (add another spare tube for the thumb, but it needs to be bigger (16 stitches)

the fingers are the most tedious part of gloves… knit them first and you can make a whole glove (actually you can make a pair at one time) on 2 straight needles!–

the open nooses on the fingers can be ‘closed’ as part of finishing… leave them open as you knit so you ‘try on’ the fingers to get the length right… (and to make sure you don’t make a mistake!)

it’s a parlor trick (like the sock in sock double knitting) but way easier…

(if you’ve never done gloves, it might be worth while to do 1 conventional pair to get some understanding of the geography of gloves)