Double Knitting with motif on front and solid on back

Hi Everyone,

I am knew to double knitting and was wondering if there is a technique to using a chart, where the motif is on the front and solid on the back…

just like the image on the left but with a solid back.

Thank you in advance

Hi Iam4ft12,
I’ve only made a couple of items using double knitting technique, which is for knitting a double faced fabric and to be able to create a mirror image in the opposite colour on the opposite side with the wrong side hidden between them on the inside, but, I imagine, you could simply not follow the pattern directions for one colour on one of the faces.
When you cast on for DK knitting, your colours are arranged, in your example, blk,wht,blk,wht all along the needle with, say, the white for the back(ws) and the black for the front(rs) although there is no front and back really with DK knitting!! For a stockinette/stocking stitch fabric, you knit the black and purl the white sts.on the RS and purl the black and knit the white sts on the WS to make a solid colour piece with one side black and one side white.By swapping the colours,when you are following a pattern instruction, for either knit or purl on either side you introduce a different colour and make the pattern appear. If you wanted to have a solid white side you could simply knit all the K sts. on the WS with white, while still following the pattern for the purl sts,(could be white or black) and on the RS you would purl all the purl sts with white while, again, following the pattern for the knit sts.(could be black or white)
I imagine this could become very confusing and would need a lot of concentration, even more so if ,as with your example, it’s all in knit stitch!!
Surely it would be easier ,again using your picture example, to single knit a patterned piece and then back it with a matching single knit solid colour piece which you could then sew/crochet together.
Hope this helps you x

1 Like

Non-mirror image double knitting is colorwork where you carry the extra between the sides.
Usually additional strands are bounced back and forth, dropped and picked up to make the differences between the two sides.