Don't understand the instructions :(

I am knitting a long sleeves sweater.

The instructions of shaping armholes say:
" 3rd row: K2, sl 1, K1, psso, knit to last 4 sts, K2tog, K2

… 78 sts.
Dec one st at each end of next row (as in 3rd row), then every alt row until 32 sts rem."

I followed the instructions and decreased one st at the end of every alt row. However, I found it weird.

Before shaping the armholes, I followed the instructions to knit until 34 cm from beginning, if I decrease one st in every alt row, then the whole armhole would be longer than the body? cuz I need to decrease from 78 sts to 32 sts, so I will need to knit further 92 rows? Is it normal?

Or, is there any other definition for the above sentence “Dec one st at each end of next row (as in 3rd row), then every alt row until 32 sts rem”?

Or, the pattern is just simply wrong?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

“78 sts.
Dec one st at [I]each[/I] end of next row (as in 3rd row), then every alt row until 32 sts rem.”

I don’t know what your row gauge is but are you accounting for the instruction to decrease at [I]each[/I] end of the row? That’s a decrease of 2sts per row, not one. You’ll repeat the decrease row 18 times (~36 rows total since it’s every alternate row).

You dec at [B]each end[/B] of every other row.

Oh thank you.
Yeah I thought it asks me to decrease one st in a row.

You’re not the only one - each and every are the most overlooked words in patterns.

Just wondering-----why don’t the pattern writers ever use this phrase: “decrease on BOTH edges” (or whatever)??? That would make it soooo much easier to understand, wouldn’t it?

Or are they into how difficult they can make their patterns?
lol
knitcindy

Nearly all patterns do say each or every, maybe it’s just easier to word the instructions that way, but I’ve seen ones that say ‘both ends’ and people miss that too…

yeah so true.
As a beginner, I would interpret ‘each end’ as the end of every row instead of both edges of every row :frowning: