Don't understand pattern...:0(

Hi all,

I’m doing the camera case at http://thecompletefabrication.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-camera-case.html and I’m having some trouble understanding the decrease instructions.

I’ve done the calculations (Side A=8, Side B=2) but I don’t understand the bit that says;

Round 1: ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k, : ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k

I would be grateful if someone could help me translate this a little, I know what the abbreviations are, just the way its written is confusing.

k side a -4 sts
for example.

Thanks

Jen

“Round 1: ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k, : ssk, k side a -4 sts (6sts in my case), k2tog, k1, ssk, k side b – 4 sts (2sts in my case), k2tog, k”

I think I’ve got it… ssk, knit side A less 4 sts (which would be 6 sts if you’re using her numbers), k2 tog, k1, ssk, K side B less 4 sts (that would be 2 sts), k2tog, k2, etc.

Thank you, I don’t really get how the sides are though, because its in the round and if I do it this way I’d need nearly three times the stitches I have.

Does “:” signify the start of a new round? I think I can work it out if it does. :

Thanks Suzeeq!

Does “:” signify the start of a new round?

I wondered about that, it looked like it could be round 2. And “sides” doesn’t refer to edges, but front and back side of the case.

Thank you.

Either way, the numbers don’t add up.

I’ve checked and had someone with more brains re check my checking. I think I’m just going to have to make it up!
Can’t go too far wrong, If I make sure its SSK one side and K2Tog the other…

…I hope. :slight_smile:

I think that’s a fine idea!

The ‘a’ and ‘b’ refer to the calculations you have made here

"Calculate Height / 10 x 16 sts (side a)

Calculate side b as (total stitches – (side a x 2) – 4) divided by 2

Example for my version side a = 6cm / 10 x 16 = 10 sts (rounded up)

Side b = (36 sts – 20 sts – 4 sts) = 12 stitches / 2 = 6 sts"

If it is all too much just decrease until you have a few stitches left and pull them in. You will get a similar effect without the stress.

Essentially though the decreases go - decrease, knit to 2 stitches before the corner, decrease, k1 - repeat for each side.