Don't understand Cable instructions HELP!

I am trying to teach my self to knit various types of cables. I can do a basic cable. Now I am trying to do a Five Rib braid out of The Knitters Bible. I can read the instructions, but one cable pattern confuses me. Can you help?

C5F- sl 3 sts on to calbe needle at front, k2, sl p stich back onto LH needle and p it k2 from cable needle

Row 3 of the pattern reads- p2, k2 (p1, C5F) twice, p2

So i am thinking i purl the first stitch, then slip 3 sts onto my cable needle, then k 2 sts off the LH needle, but i cannot figure how to get the purl stitch back on LH needle now that two knit stitches are in front on it. Should I p the first stitch onto the cable needle? I still have to pull the P stitch over? How do I do this? Please help.

I’m not sure which is the purl stitch. Can you give the line of the instructions that comes just before the line where you do the cabling?

It’s the purl stitch that’s done just befor the C5. Which actually makes it a 6 stitch cable. Sounds like it’s purled twice.

Thanks for replying,
I think i slip one stitch from the cable needle and p it first before knit two last stitches. Let me know if i am on the right track. Thanks again :slight_smile:

here are the full instructions

C5F- sl 3 sts on to cable needle at front, k2, sl p st back on to LH needle and p it, k2 from cable needle

C5B- sl 3 sts on to cable needle at back, k2, slip p st back onto LH needle and p it, k2 from cable needle

Panel of 18sts on rev st st.

row 1 (RS) p2, (k2, p1) five times, p1
row 2 and every WS row K2, (p2, k1) five times, k1
row 3 p2, k2, (p1 C5F) twice, p2
row 5 as in row1
row 7 p2, (C5B, p1) twice, k2, p2
row 8 as in row2
Repeat steps

if i purl it, slip i to RH needle, then k2, I have to pull it back over those stitches to LH needle and P it again? that also leaves me with an extra stitch on the cable needle since i had to put three on there. I am confused, but then again I am counting sts instead of visualizing and am a a fairly new knitter ( only a year). Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

C5F- sl 3 sts on to cable needle at front, k2, sl p st back on to LH needle and p it, k2 from cable needle

I think i slip one stitch from the cable needle and p it first before knit two last stitches. Let me know if i am on the right track.

I think I get it now. You’re right, that purl stitch will have been purl (on the RS) on previous rows and you’ll be putting it in the middle of the 5 st cable.

So i tried just slipping the first stitch on the cable needle onto the left hand needle and purling it and it worked. The braid is coming out nicely. Thanks for all your help! I could not have figured it out without your help :slight_smile: Have a great day :):cheering: :cheering: