Don't know what to do next....HELP!

Hi I’m making an outfit for my 18 month old granddaughter, and I am so totally lost. It’s called “Ruffled Edge Top and Pants” and it’s in Bernat Baby Jacquards “Play Day”.
I’m working on the front of the top. Here’s where I’m stuck!
[B]“Shape front neck: 1st Row[/B]: (RS) K16 (17-18-19). [B]Turn[/B]. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 2 rows, then every following alt row 3 times more. 11 (12-13-14) sts.
Cont even until armhole measuers 5 (5 1/2-5 1/2-6) ins ending with a purl row.

[B]Buttonhold band:[/B] Knit 2 rows. Next row: K3 (3-4-4), yfwd, K2tog, K2, yfwd, K2tog, K0 (1-1-2) sts. Knit 2 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS)
With RS of work facing, slip next 10 (12-12-14) sts onto st holder. Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end of row.
Rep from *** to *** as given above. Cast off[B]”[/B]
[B]I’m not sure what to do with the buttonhold band. Where do I knit this??? I have done the neck shaping. I’m just not sure how to do this part. If anyone can help me figure this out, I would be greatful. You can email me at [/B][B]iceprincess_018552@yahoo.com[/B]
Thanks in advance
knitaddict06

I looked at Bernat and can’t find such a pattern. Is it a Bernat pattern? If so can you give a link right to the pattern, or if it is somewhere else where we can see the whole pattern give a link.

It is a Bernat pattern. The pattern is in the Book “Play Day” by Bernat (#542051). I have looked online for the pattern, but can’t find it anywhere. Here’s a link to a preview of the book, but no pattern. http://www.bernat.com/patternbook.php?PBS=542051 I can type the pattern and post the whole thing, if that will help?

This link will take you to my facebook page where I typed up the pattern in entirty and posted it. It’s the best I could do.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?created&&suggest&note_id=335922888333

I don’t belong to Facebook, so that doesn’t help me (maybe someone else though). I looked at the overview and saw the picture, saved it and enlarged it a bit for a somewhat better look. It looked like, from the picture, that it was one piece in the front with probably the opening in the back. But I totally don’t get what is going on or where the directions you are asking about fit into the scheme of things.

You are not supposed to post an entire pattern here (copyright stuff), but you could give the whole front I think.

The part that is in bold is where I’m having problems

FRONT
Work from ** to ** as given for Back.

Cont even until armhole measures 2 ¼ (2 ½-2 ½-3) ins [5.5 (6-6-7.5) cm], ending with a purl row.

Shape front neck: 1st row: (RS). K16 (17-18-19). Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle. Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 2 rows, then every following alt row 3 times more. 11 (12-13-14) sts. Cont even until armhole measures 5 (5 ½-5 ½-6) ins [12.5 (14-14-15) sm], ending with a purl row.

[B]Buttonhole band: Knit 2 rows.
Next row: K3 (3-4-4), yfwd, K2tog, K2, yfwd, K2tog. K0 (1-1-2) st(s).
Knit 2 rows.
Cast off.[/B]

SLEEVES
With smaller needles, cast on 45 sts. Work 4 rows in stocking st.
Next row: (RS) (Picot row). K1, *yfwd, K2tog. Rep from * to end of row. Place marker at end of row. Beg with a purl row, work 5 rows in stocking st.

Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of needle on next and every following 10th (6th-4th-4th) row to 49 (51-55-53) sts then every following 12th (8th-6th-6th) row to 51 (55-61-63) sts.

Cont even until work from marked row measures 4 ½ (5 ½-6 ½-7) ins [11.5 (14-16.5-18) cm], ending with a purl row.

Shape top: Cast off 2 sts beg next 2 rows. 47 (51-57-59) sts. Dec 1 st each end of needle on next and every following alt row to 29 (29-31-31) sts. Dec 1 st each end of needle on next 6 rows. Cast off rem 17 (17-19-19) sts.

FINISHING
Pin garment pieces to measurements. Cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.

Sew right shoulder seam.
Neck edging: With RS of work facing and smaller needles, pick up and knit 17 sts down left front of neck. K10 (12-12-14) from front st holder. Pick up and knit 17 sts up right front of neck edge. K20 (22-22-24) from back st holder. 64 (68-68-72) sts. Beg with a purl row, work 3 rows in stocking st.
Next row: (Picot row). K1, *yfwd, K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. Beg with a purl row, work 4 rows in stocking st. Cast off. Fold work along picot row to WS and sew in position.

Sew left shoulder seam. Sew in sleeves. Sew side and sleeve seams. Fold bottom hems of body and sleeves along picot rows to WS and sew in position. Sew buttons to back left shoulder to correspond to buttonholes.

OK I get it now, the YFWD is actually a YO. You are making the “buttonhole” which is basically an eyelet for a small, round button, or just an ornamentation of some sort.

Jan has a great video demonstration.

I see how it is made now. I didn’t get it entirely until I read the finishing directions. Both sides are the same with a button placket on the left shoulder. :figureditout: Okay, where you do that button band is right there. You have just worked the neck shaping on the left side until you have 11 (12, 13, 14) sts on the shoulder and then continued until you have the armhole on that side to 5 (5 1/2, 5 1/2, 6) inches. Then you just go right into the button placket by knitting 2 rows (so you have garter stitch going for this part so it won’t curl) then do the buttonhole row

Then knit two more rows of garter stitch and bind off. You are now through with the left shoulder buttonhole placket.

Then I suppose you need to go over and finish the right side of the front.

Does this make sense?

I know what a yfwd is. What I don’t know is to knit this:
[B]Buttonhole band: Knit 2 rows.
Knit 2 rows.
Cast off.[/B]

I have done the shape front neck and the armhole. The above section is next, and I don’t know where to knit it! It doesn’t make sense to me. Do I continue knitting it on the shoulder?

Ok, right now, I have 13 stitches on my needle, and the armhole measures 5 1/2 in. So I just continue knitting the 2 rows, then the k3, yfwd, k2tog, yfwd, k2tog, k1??

Yes, then finish up with two more rows of garter stitch after the buttonholes. Then bind off.