Doing cables

I guess it’s a matter of personal preference. I love the short straight wooden cable needles artlady has pictured. They grip the yarn and are compact anc easy to handle. I have the metal ones; both J and notched, and it seems that the yarn slides off those more easily.

I will certainly try the Harmony ones. The idea of wearing them is GREAT in case they don’t work for me!!

Hey guys! I have just started doing cables, but I don’t use a cable needle at all! I get out one of my circular needles and use that. That way it I can slip the stitches to the middle of the cable and knit my next stitches and when I am ready to knit them off the cable needle, I just slip them to the other end. I haven’t had any trouble with them falling out or anything and I already had the circulars in my bag. I don’t think it even matters what size circ you use, as long as it is smaller than the needles you are knitting with.

Good luck!!

Well crud. I just ordered them!!!

That doesn’t mean you’ll have the same problems. Give them a try and see how they work for you.

Thank you all for you opinions. Last night I tried the larger DPN and it worked better than my cable needle that’s for sure. ARtlady, I have one of those J hooks that I have never tried, I think someone gave it to me…I will try that tonight and see which one works best for me.
Ginny

That’s a great idea! And…if you absolutely MUST put your work down during cabling there’s no chance of losing those stitches!!! I’m definitely going to do that!
:hug:

Cable needles?? We don’t need no stinkin’ cable needles! :wink:

I learned how to cable without a cable needle and have never looked back. A lot of people are frightened by the aspect of leaving stitches hanging for a brief second while they are re-arranged but I have not lost a stitch yet and I do a lot of cabling. I find I can zip right through a cabled project much faster without. Just something to think about :slight_smile:

Libbie