Dog sweater please help!

Hi!

I just took up knitting and my first pattern is a dog sweater but I’m having a hard time understanding it.

The instructions say:
With larger needles cast on 40 sts. Knit 5 rows inc 4 sts evey across last row. 44sts. Proceed in stocking stitch, inc 1 st at each end of needle on 3rd and every row to 50 sts then on following alt rows to 54 sts. Purl 1 row.

[B]Leg openings:next row:[/B] (RS) K5. Cast off 4 sts. K36 (including st on needle after cast off) cast off 4 sts. Knit to end of row.
[B]Note:[/B] all leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. Beg with a purl row work 1 ins in stockig st ending with purl row.

Okay so this is where I’m confused. I know this is where the leg opening part is but what is unclear to me is where I add in the new balls of yard and how do I add them in?

The next set of instructions are:

[B]joining row:[/B] K5. Cast on 4 sts. K36. Cast on 4 sts. Knit to nd row. 54sts. Cont even work after neckband measures 5 ins ending with purl row. Place marker at each end I last row.

What does that set I instructions mean after “cont even work…”

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

You add the new yarn at the beginning of the cast off sts. Drop the first yarn, cast off with the new yarn, and knit the next section. Then drop that yarn, and with the new yarn cast off the next sts and knit the last section.

Continue even means to keep to the stitch pattern (which is stockinette st) without incs or decs.

Thank you so much for your help! By “drop the yarn” you just mean to let it go? So essentially I have three balls of yarn? How many rows do I use the multiple balls? How do I bring it to one ball again? Thank you!!

I’m not trying to discourage you. Go for it! But if you find that this pattern is a little too hard, here’s one you might like. It’s an easy beginner pattern.

Yes, let go the one yarn and pick up the one in the next section. Each section has its own separate yarn strand. It says to knit each section for 1 inch.