Dog Sweater Pattern Help

[COLOR=purple]Ok I can read a knitting pattern… but this one has me stumped. Later in the pattern it calls for using circs to put the leg borders on, but this one line is what has me stumped right now… help?[/COLOR]

Leg openings Row 1: K5. Bind off next 4 sts. K36 (including st on needle after bindoff). Bind off next 4st. Knit to end of row.

[I]All Leg Sections are worked at the same time using a separate ball of yarn for each section[/I]

[B]Beg with a purl row, work 1" in stocking st from bound off sts[/B] ending with RS facing for next row.

[COLOR=purple]The bolded bit is what is throwing me for a loop… all I can say is “huh??”[/COLOR]

It sounds like you’ve bound off for the leg holes, and then you pick up those bound off stitches to make an inch of leg. No?

I thought that you’d be skipping the bound off areas, and just knitting the inch from each of the live st sections - this would make the leg hole.

Donna - Is the instruction after this to knit X st and then cast on 4 st, knit some more, cast on 4 st, knit to end of row?

:doh:I think you’re right. I looked quickly and realized that there aren’t four places bound off. I’d say knit an inch from that part on the live sections, too.

It’s 98 degrees here. My mind as well as my body is melting.:ick:

The next row says:

Joining Row: K5, turn and cast on 4 sts, turn and K36. Turn and cast on 4 sts. Turn and knit to end of row (54 sts)

[INDENT]Leg openings Row 1: [COLOR=“Red”][B]K5[/B][/COLOR]. Bind off next 4 sts. [COLOR=“Red”][B]K36[/B][/COLOR] (including st on needle after bindoff). Bind off next 4st. [COLOR=“Red”][B]Knit to end of row[/B][/COLOR].

[I]All Leg Sections are worked at the same time using a separate ball of yarn for each section[/I]

Beg with a purl row, work 1" in stocking st from bound off sts ending with RS facing for next row.[/INDENT]

So after you complete the leg opening row above, you will knit each of the sections in red separately for 1" (The “from bound off sts” is giving you your reference point for where your measurement should start).

When that’s completed, you will do the next row to join all the sections with the 2 “gaps” in between for the legs. So you’ll knit 5, cast on 4 (this replaces the 4 you bound off before), knit the middle, cast on another 4 to replace the 2nd set of bound off st and then knit to the end. You should wind up with a piece that now has the same number of st on the needle as before that bind off instruction - 54.

[INDENT]Leg openings Row 1: [COLOR=Red][B]K5[/B][/COLOR]. Bind off next 4 sts. [COLOR=Red][B]K36[/B][/COLOR] (including st on needle after bindoff). Bind off next 4st. [COLOR=Red][B]Knit to end of row[/B][/COLOR].

Beg with a purl row, work 1" in stocking st from bound off sts ending with RS facing for next row.[/INDENT]So after you complete the leg opening row above, you will knit each of the sections in red separately for 1" (The “from bound off sts” is giving you your reference point for where your measurement should start).

So… work 1" in stockingnette in the 5 st right after the bindoff? There are 5 on each end of the work right after and before the 4 st bindoff… but how do I work these at the same time when they are on straights? :shrug: lol

I know I’m hopeless… :shifty:

[INDENT]“So… work 1” in stockingnette in the 5 st right after the bindoff? There are 5 on each end of the work right after and before the 4 st bindoff… but how do I work these at the same time when they are on straights?"[/INDENT]

You can leave them all on the same needle, but you need separate balls of yarn for each section. So with one ball you will work the 5 st in the beginning, skip over the gap (which is no longer on your needles anyway) and continue working the middle st with another ball of yarn, skip over the 2nd gap and do the last 5 st with another ball of yarn. When you get to the joining row you can just use the one ball again.

Ok I think I understand. If I have 3 sections (leg - center - leg) I’d use 3 balls of yarn?

Good grief, who’d have thunk it… a dog sweater being this confusing :roflhard::ick: I am such a dork :lol:

[INDENT]“If I have 3 sections (leg - center - leg) I’d use 3 balls of yarn?”[/INDENT]

:thumbsup: Yup!

I admit it I had to drop that pattern, it was truly doing my head in. I’ve not given up on it, just had to back up and take another run at it lol :rofling: