Does the # of stitches casted on affect the decreases...?

i want to make a beanie that’s like this: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 only without the VW and i want to use my thick & quick lion brand yarn instead.

and i have NO idea how many to cast on now… since the yarn size matters? and i’m not so sure if the change in the number of stitches casted on affects the decreases and all that craziness… i’m sure it does. i might also need an explanation of guages.

please help. i want to start SOON.

I think it would be easier to find a hat pattern for chunky yarn than try to change a pattern. Here’s a site that has lots of hat patterns if you want to go through them.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

First, to figure out your gauge, knit a swatch about 5" x 5" and measure how many stitiches per inch you’re getting. Then multiply it by the number of inches you need (the diameter of the hat). So if you’re knitting 3 stitches per inch and you want a 20" hat, cast on 60 stitches. To follow the decreases in that particular pattern, you’d need to cast on a multiple of 9 stitches, so in this case, it would be 63.

Cast on your multiple-of-9 stitches, then follow the pattern as written, except I think you’d peobably want to decrease until 5-10 stitches remain, instead of 10-15, because of the weight of the yarn.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. thank you SO much. :slight_smile: i get it.

oook ok wait wait. so i casted on 63 like you said… but then when i was doing the ribbing i started with a knit and ended with a knit. and i’m supposed to end with a purl right? so i figured oh ok… i’ll just cast on 64 instead. and so ribbing came out fine… and so did the stst… but when i decreased i got confused. am i decreasing EXACTLY the same way? is it still K2tog, K8 etc etc… all the way down to K2tog, K1 etcetc? because when i did that i had a little over 10 stitches left on the needle and i think i was told to have 5-10 stitches left. was that ok?

i hope i didn’t confuse you… because i definitely confused myself.