Does Ending with WS mean before or after you work the row?

:thinking:
I’ve been wondering this for a long time… and sometimes I just wing it…but now I’d really like to see answers from the masses.

When you are told on a pattern something such as, “ending with a WS (or RS) row” do you consider the row you are about to work as the row you end with, or do you work that row and consider that you’ve ended there?
I am working on the Baby Bolero from the One Skein book and I’m only on the very first portion of the body after three rows of increasing from 67 to 73 stitches and then it says to work in St until piece measures 1 1/2 inches ending with a WS row. Soooo, I’m basically at that measurement having finished a knit row. The upcoming row would be the wrong side of the garment (a purl row), but I don’t know if I should consider the “to be purled” row as where I should end on the wrong side, or if I should purl it and then once done consider that I have ended with the WS.
Make sense?
Thanks a mill! :lol:

Whenever I see ‘end with a WS row’ I take that to mean that the last row worked is a WS row, then go on to the next instruction. I’ve also seen it written ‘end having just worked a WS row’, which makes more sense to me, but usually you can tell by what the next instruction is, whether your last row is to be a RS or WS row.