Does anyone out there crochet aswell as knit?

* Whispering cos I know some people think crochet is a dirty word!*
Do any of you knitters crochet too?

I’m intrigued and my Mum bought me a “How to” book and several hooks for Christmas so I’ve been experimenting.

Just wondered if there were any good sites out there for crochet?

I’m a crocheter trying to learn to knit. Does that count? lol…

I find crochet to be easier to pick up and throw down without having to worry about losing stitches. But I want to learn to knit because I think some things just look better in a knitted fabric. I mostly want to learn to knit because I have this strange obsession with hand knit socks. Never worn a pair in my life, but I wanna learn to make 'em! lol…

If you are looking for Crochet message boards, you might try Crochetville or Craftster. HTH!

Jen

i’m learning to crochet. so far i know single crochet, double crochet, and half double.

Visit Nexstitch - she has great videos on there which explain stitches very well.

And yes, I was taught to crochet as a child, by my mom, some 40 years ago!

Enjoy, Helen

I crocheted long before I knit. I prefer knitting and will only crochet edges and borders now.

I’m better at knitting than crocheting, but right now I’m working on a Roseanne crochet afghan. Remember the one from the show? Here is the pattern:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/monver.html

:eyebrow:

Me me! I like both. Crochet for afghans and most everything else in knit.

GAH! I crocheted an entire king size bedspread with that pattern! I kept it on the bed for about 2 weeks and then gave it to the Goodwill. I couldn’t stand it anymore after working on it so long…all those squares… makes we woozy thinking about it… :zombie:

Lots of us crochet. I just learned to knit less than a year ago, but have been crocheting for more than 9 years. Knitting is definitely better for clothing, particularly sweaters (but I did crochet a top I think is very cute: http://knitensity.blogspot.com/2006/09/okay-so-heres-another-top-i-crocheted.html - moderators, how do i made a short link? it says my html setting is off. how do i turn it on?)
but I think crochet can do everything else just as well. In fact, I think it’s better for toys, afghans, hats, bags, and anything that needs any structure to it. But there’s something about the movement of knitting I think I like better. Not sure, really.

I will continue to advertise this book I just got called Get Your Crochet On! Despite the title :doh: , there are lots of really great hats in this book, made for people with big natural hair like me. Yay, crochet!

My mom taught me to crochet around the time I was in junior high school. I guess I inherited my craftiness from her. :heart: I gave it up after a bit, and then had to relearn it about 4 years ago when I decided to crochet a blanket for my eldest niece.

My daughter managed to get me started on knitting a little over 2 years ago. While we were shopping she randomly picked up a ball of yarn that she thought was pretty, then I bought some needles to go with it, and … and … it snowballed from there! Pretty much the only thing I crochet these days are edgings for blankets.

Debi

OMG, that crochet top is beautiful! :heart:

Mwedzi, that top is gorgeous :muah: !
Bellisimo

Ditto!!! :inlove:

I crochet a little bit. right now I can only do chain, single, and double (still getting the hang of half double)

Hi, Sue! :waving:

I crochet, too. I taught myself from the book “Crochet in Plain English” by Maggie Righetti. That was about 16 years ago.

Crocheting (to me) is easier than knitting, and it’s a great supplement to knitting. I prefer knitting because the fabric it produces is more appealing.

If I need a quickie gift, I’ll crochet an afghan or something. This is very handy, especially if you need a gift for someone you don’t particularly care for.

Can’t wait to see what you’ve been “experimenting” with! :teehee:

:muah: :muah: :muah:

Another Crocheter here. I’ve only been knitting a little over a year, but I’ve been crocheting since I was 18. ( :oops: That was 20 years ago)

Just in case you don’t know yet, UK and American stitch terms are not the same . I find I have to check a reference to see which, eg. dc is American and which is British! Also, when I am following an American pattern and I am tired, my brain interprets the stitch the way I initially learned, the British way----> frogging.

Crocheting a project is quicker, for me, than knitting, but I have never undertaken a large thread-crochet project which I think would be slow going.

I hope you enjoy crocheting!

Carolyn

I’ve been a crocheter since I was a wee lad. I haven’t made much in several years. I got hooked on quilting a few years back until I realized that I only like piecing the quilts. So I have a stack of unfinished quilts with no desire to actually quilt them. I could “farm” that out, but I really love hand quilting (as opposed to machine), and that would cost a fortune.

I wanted to learn to knit because, IMNSHO, knitting is prettier to look at than crochet. I don’t know why I feel that way, but I do. I bet it’s because I could crochet, but not knit, so the grass was greener on the other side.

I’ve seen the NextStitch site, and it was the best crochet site I could find; however, it pales in comparison to KH. Amy has done an amazing job with this website.

Joe

I learned to crochet after I learned to knit. I don’t know much, but the Crochetville forums are pretty friendly

Hey guys!

Nice to see so many of you lurking out there.

I agree - I wish someone would come up with a “CrochetHelp” site that was as good as this one is!

Re my experimenting - I’m afraid I’ve ripped out most of the bits I’ve done - I tend to just try a stitch for a couple of inches to see if I can do it - and despite my stash not fitting into the 3! enormous boxes that I bought for it I can’t make myself tie off the ends of my samples - I always think that I might need that yarn for something one day!!! Must be my Scottish ancestory coming out! :teehee:

I’ve been looking around for a good first project - but I’m a bit fussy - I’m not over keen on the traditional “granny square” crochet look - and I’m not sure I really need another scarf! I’d quite like to try a lacy shrug but the patterns look very complicated! :pout:

I keep reminding myself that this time last year I hadn’t even started knitting and the knitting patterns that looked so difficult at first are now reasonably simple to follow - but not having Amy’s fab videos to demonstrate makes things a little harder with the crochet.

So - in the time honoured fashion of attention deficit beginners the world over - I’ve now decided that I absolutely must have a knitted cable handbag - and because I was given the Vogue Stitchonary books for Christmas I decided that I would design my own - so I’m back with the two needles and have spent the last three hours or so swatching.

I also decided to see if I could knit continental now that I’ve got the hang of holding the yarn in my left hand to crochet - but whilst the knit stitches are quite easy I’m finding the purl almost impossible. At first I thought I’d cracked it and wondered what all the fuss was with purling continental style - but then I started the next row and realised that I’d twisted all my purl stitches! I guess I was wrapping the wrong way! I need to check out those videos again!

Anyway - I’ll keep you posted on both the knitting and crochet fronts!

:muah: