Dividing stitches onto dpns

Hi All!

I am going to make a hat. It say to cast on 106 stitches, divide stitches evenly and place on 4 dnps.
My question is since 106 doesn’t divide evenly on the 4 needles, would you put 27 stitches on needles 1 and 4 and 26 stitches on needles 2 and 3?
What would be the best to divide stitches?

It depends what stitch pattern you are using. If you are doing stockinette or garter or ribbing or anything basic like that, it doesn’t matter how you divide them. Just divide them as closely as possible, as you describe. If you are using a lace pattern or a cable pattern you will need to try to keep repeats of the pattern together so your needles might be more unevenly divided, but it’s okay, as long as it’s comfortable to work with.

Thanks Knitqueen. It is just ribbed at the beginning and then knitted in the round.

If it’s a 2 stitch rib, you’d want a multiple of 2 stitches on each needle to keep it easy. If it’s a 3 stitch rib…a multiple of 3.

heck at 106 stitches i would save the DPNs for the end and cast on to a circ.

Good point, brendajos! :smiley: Pug, if at all possible get a circular needle for the majority of the hat and then just use the dpns for decreasing at the top of the hat. It will save you a lot of trouble.

:thumbsup: Definitely a circ!

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a good idea!