Discloth Pattern Question

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]I have a question for the round dishcloth that I’m making, the questions are in pink[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#400040]Round Dishcloth[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]designed by Amy Carpenter[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040][B]Rating: [/B]Easy - Medium[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Materials:[/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS] 1 ball of cotton yarn, Size 4.5 MM knitting needles.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Instructions:[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]Cast on (either with long-tail or invisible cast on ) 21 stitches. Knit all odd rows.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 2: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. Transfer last stitch to right needle by slipping as if to purl[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](with yarn in front or back?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]. Turn work and wrap yarn around end of stitch [/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](what does this mean?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]; slip [/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](knitwise or purlwise?) [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]the stitch back to the right needle and continue with row 3. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 4: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now two stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 6: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now three stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 8: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now four stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 10: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bind off 4 stitches [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](how do I count stitches for bind offs?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]. Knit down until there are five stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]…[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 30: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bind off 4 stitches. Knit to end. When you reach the wrapped stitches, slip the stitch, pick up the wrap [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](what is ‘pick up’ supposed to mean?) [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#400040][FONT=Comic Sans MS]and slip the stitch back to left-hand needle. Knit stitch and wrap together. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Wrap and turn is a technique for doing short rows. There’s a good article here - Short rows - knitty.com and a video here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ - scroll down to Short row with Wrap.

On the first slip, keep the yarn in back, turn and with the yarn in the back, slip the stitch onto the right needle. I believe you slip purlwise in both instances.

To count stitches for BO, you will actually be knitting 5 stitches, but passing the stitch over only 4 times (k2, pass 1st st over 2nd, k1, pass st, k1, pass st, k1, pass st).

When you come to the wrapped stitch, knit it together with the stitch it’s wrapped around.

Namwan,

I was interested in your question and went and found the pattern and worked up one of the wedges. Suseeq did a good job on your answer but since I did the wedge I’ll add my two cents.

Your first question, do you slip that stitch purlwise with the yarn in front or back, slip it with the yarn in back. That first slip stitch and wrap and turn is a little weird. I have never seen one stitch like that left at the end and wrapped and turned. :slight_smile: But I’ve been messing with it and what you want is to not work that stitch at all, but just slip it back and forth, the same as what happens at the end of all the wrap and turn rows. This is how I think you do it. Slip the last stitch as if to purl, keeping the yarn in back, turn the work so that you exchange needles in your hands. Now move (wrap) the yarn around the base of that slipped stitch to the back just like it were a little scarf going around the stitch’s neck, then slip the stitch back to the right hand needle purlwise(it will have the little scarf at its base). The yarn is in the back and ready to knit the next stitch. That is how you do the wrap and turn the first time.

The other wrap and turns are slightly different because they are not right at the end of the row like that. From here on out you will leave one more stitch at the end on each of the even rows. So on row four when you have 2 at the end, slip the next stitch purlwise, exchange the needles in your hands, now move the yarn to the back between the needle tips and slip the stitch back to the right hand needle with its little scarf around its neck. :slight_smile: You now have 2 stitches that didn’t get worked, the new one and the other one you wrapped the first time. The yarn is in back, ready to knit the next stitch.

Yes, when you count the bind offs you only count the stitches that actually go off the needle, the ones you lift over and off. You want 4 of them.

When you do row 30 you knit the wrap with each stitch. When you get to the first stitch that has a wrap, all the rest of the stitches in the row will have one too. You pick up the wraps and knit them with the stitches themselves. To do this use the RH needle inserting it from behind the wrap loop then lifting the “stitch” onto the LH needle without twisting it. Then knit the picked up wrap together with the next stitch. (Like knitting 2 together)

I hope that is some help. That looks like an interesting project and a chance to learn some shaping skills. Good luck. Merigold

Thank you [I]so[/I] much Suzeeq and Merigold

Merigold, thanks for trying it out, I’ll try doing it again tonight :slight_smile:

after row 30, do I begin with row 1 or row 2?