Difficulty with pattern

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me interpret the following, it is the beginning of the armhole.

Shape Armhole:
At beginning of next two rows bind off 8 sts then Dec 1 st at each end by knit 1, ssk, knit to last 3 sts,K2tog, k1 [every RS row], 3 times, keeping 1 st at each edge in St st
Thank you

The instructions mean to work the decreases each right side (RS) row as given in the example, near the beginning and end of row. If you call the first dec row after the bind offs, row 1 then the decreases are on rows 1,3 and 5. The decreases are placed one stitch in from the ends and those end sts are worked as knits on the RS rows and purls on the WS rows.

Thank you for your reply.

A further instruction I am not clear is written like this:

Pattern Stitch

[mistake stitch (multiple of 4 Sts + 3)]

Row 1 (WS): *P2, K2 (rep from * to last 3 sts, end P3)

Row 2: *K2, P2 (rep from * to last 3 sts, end K3)

What would it mean:

[mistake stitch (multiple of 4 Sts + 3)]?

Thank you!

Linda

This is a mistake rib stitch. It’s really very nice and very useful. Rows 1 and 2 give you the directions for working it.
This tutorial works it slightly differently on the last 3 sts but the basic result will be the same.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply I really appreciate it! I am going to now try this and hopefully it will work out!
have a pleasant day!

Linda

Hi I’m sorry to bother you again but I just can’t seem to get back on track after the arm hole. I don’t know why I can’t get it but after the decrease I from 75 stitches to 53 stitches it just doesn’t work out for a smooth pattern stitch again.
I wonder if you can shed some light for me I’ve provided you with a picture of my project. Thank you so much for all your help!
Lindaimage0.jpegimage1.jpeg

It looks so pretty in the rib pattern. What is the name of your pattern?
The easiest way to do this is to look at the pattern already established in the previous rows.
If it helps, mark the sts that appear as a knit column on the RS (right side) of the piece. Those sts will be knit on the RS and purled on the WS. There’ll be 3 sts between the marked sts. The center of those 3 sts will be purl on the RS and knit on the WS.
The sts in between the knit column and the purl column will be either always purled or always knit on RS and WS. It gives you a garter stitch pattern.
I always see things better as a chart. The blank squares are knit, the dashes purled. The arrows here point to the knit column or column of Vs; the n indicates the purl column when seen from the RS.

You should be able see the column of Vs after a couple of rows and peek over to the other side and see another column of Vs. The first few rows won’t be obvious.

Good morning,
Thank you very much for your reply and for your efforts & patience in explaining how you understand what info I provided to you of the pattern! As per your response I am sending you the name of the pattern which is My Dolly & Me sweaters by EJ Slayton & it’s a e-patternscentral.com. Thank you

Linda

That’s adorable and so cozy. It’s a very nice stitch pattern with cushy thickness that will make it wonderful to wear. Let us know how it’s going.

This stitch looks lovely, so cosy! Now I want to make a sweater I this it looks so squishy.

When I work a stitch I’m not familiar with and there are decreases some times I have to work out how many stitches decreased from the beginning of the row and count off and name each stitch whichnis now “missing” so that I can work out where I should be working the pattern repeats.

I agree with salmonmac that looking at and reading the fabric is what is really needed. But some times if I am really lost I need to call out the stitches to get me back on track.

Good luck.

Thank you so much!

Linda

~WRD000.jpg

2 Likes

Hi,
Happy Sunday!

I ran into another snag I had to do a W/O stitch but now it’s asking me to Work to left shoulder, working each wrap tog with wrapped st.

Can you kindly help me as I am lost again? Thank you

Linda

You’re making good progress!
Sounds like a wrap & turn where the stitch has a little collar of yarn wrapped around it.
Here’s the video for picking up the wraps.

and just in case you need it here’s the method for working the wrap that precedes the above video.

Thank you very much! I will review the video!
I appreciate your help!

Linda