Difficulty picking up stitches after frogging

I am making jekyll and hide from knitty which is a simple enough pattern. infact too simple as i got cought in a mindless knitting trap.
I had done 3" of stst then had to do 4" of 2x2 ribbing. after that i was supposed to do a decrease row, but entirely forgot and went right back into stockinete. I had done about 4 rows of stst when i realised this and decided the best bet was to frog back to the ribbing and carry on from there.

I frogged back a few rows, but as i tried to re-insert my needles (this is worked on DPNs) the stitches kept running down. Ahah! i thought, i will do that trick where you put in a needle [I]before[/I] you frog. i selected a destination row, inserted a long cable needle and proceeded to frog, only to find that some of the stitches had run down whilst i had been doing that, to below the inserted needle, and that i had also managed to skip up a row when inserting.

stitches everywhere! yarn everywhere.

I have now frogged back another couple of rows, so that the live stitches are at least all on the same row, but how do i get my needle back in without the above problems happening again?

thanks

Try using a smaller needle or even a tapestry needle with waste yarn on it. If it’s thin, you can get the loops on with little manipulation or pulling so the stitches won’t run. Once you have it on your other yarn or your thin needle, you can slip the stitches to the regular size needles without worrying about it. I often use a long size 2 needle to get the stitches back on- barely pulls at all if I have been working on something a few sizes bigger.

ETA- now that I have seen the pattern (yikes) I would do the tapestry needle with waste yarn- getting it on a straight would pull since it’s worked in the round.

Argh- aggravating.

Cool hat. One that might even tempt my DGS to wear his hat. :slight_smile: Renee is right about the smaller needles. I would probably use small double points to put through the live stitches, not caring if I went through any special way (you can knit front or back of each stitch on the next row to fix things). If you find one that doesn’t seem to want to get picked up or that has run down, use a tapestry needle and a bit of fine yarn to run through that stitch so that it can be isolated, skipped and dealt with later after you have all the cooperative stitches picked up. (Or just skip it) Then as you work the first row straighten the stitches out as you come to them and if you come to one that has come undone a row or two, just work it up with your trusty crochet hook.