Difficult pattern

Hi, im knitting a ladies cardigan…im on the back of it…and it says to knit as pattern for 9 inches and then to decrease on each side of next 10 rows… the pattern reads:

Row 1: k1, yfwd, k1 *s1,k2tog,psso,k1, yfwd, k1, yfwd, k1 * repeat from * till last 5 stitches s1, k2tog, psso, k1, yfwd, k1

Row 2: Purl

Row 1 and 2 sets pattern

now i dont know how to decrease on both sides for 10 rows keeping up with the pattern…kindly help…

[I]Row 1: k1, yfwd, k1 *,k2tog,ps1sso, k1, yfwd, k1, yfwd, k1 * repeat from * till last 5 stitches s1, k2tog, psso, k1, yfwd, k1

Row 2: Purl

[/I]If you work the rows as they’re written, you will decrease at each end of the rows and will keep in pattern. I believe that you’ll only be increasing on the next 10 RS rows since that’s where the decreases occur.

freefika, do you do the decreases on each row or every other row? Are you only decreasing 1 stitch each time?

If you decrease 1 stitch each side every row, I worked out one thing that works pretty well for the first 6 rows. I only started with 19 stitches so I ran out of enough stitches to continue being able to see what would happen, and didn’t want to have to start all the way over with more stitches. :oops:

I’m leaving an edge stitch on each side, doing the decrease in one from that.

Row 1: K1, SSK, sl 1, k1, PSSO, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1. Then begin at the * and work across to the last 5 stitches, end–(k2tog) 2 times, k1.

Row 2 and all purl (even) rows: P1, p2tog, purl across to last 3 sts, p2tog tbl, p1.

Row 3: K1, SSK, k2, yo, k1. Then begin at * and work across to last 6–K1, yo, k2, k2tog, k1.

row 5: K1, SSK, yo, k1. Then begin at the * and work across to last 7-- sl 1, k1, PSSO, k1, yo, k2tog, k1.

Work the next wrong side row. Maybe from here you can figure it out yourself. You have to look at where you are in the pattern and pick it up there. Be careful that you don’t end up not decreasing because you worked a yarn over at the beginning and end that did not have a corresponding decrease to compensate. Count at the end of each decrease row and make sure you decreased 2 stitches.

The way I worked out the lace pattern with the decreases is not the only way it could be done, you may be able to figure out a way that looks even nicer, but I thought mine worked all right.