Differing names for same cast-on methods

While looking up cast-on methods, I noticed that what Amy refers to as Backwards Loop (aka Single Cast-on) [http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/backward-loop-cast-on] is done significantly different than how Vickie Howell does what she refers to as Single cast-on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWw2eMFc5k&feature=relmfu). Vickie’s version has more steps and requires you to throw the yarn while Amy’s really is just putting a backwards loop on the needle.

Also, there is significant difference between what Amy calls Knitting-On cast-on (http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/knitting-on-english) and what Vickie calls Knitted cast-on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_4Wf3hp4U&feature=relmfu). What Vickie is calling Knitted cast-on looks like what I thought was called (and what Amy calls) Cable cast-on.

Since Amy has never failed me, I’m going with her methods :slight_smile: but I’d be interested in what others think.

That is interesting. There are certainly different names for various cast ons. What Vicki calls a single cast on looks like long tail cast on.

Lots of things in knitting have more than one name, or different things called by the same name - wait till you find increases…

Other names for Long Tail CO are slingshot, from how it looks in your hands - and double CO because you use 2 strands. I think there’s a couple more, but I can’t remember them. The knit and cable COs can put the new sts on with the tips pointing toward each other, or with the tips parallel. The Lace CO is the knit CO with the tips are pointing at each other when you put the new stitch on.

Vicki’s single CO is shown on this site by Amy as the ‘thumb alternative’ or english Long tail CO. I do it like that, maybe it’s called ‘single’ because you only use one needle. And yeah, her ‘knit’ CO is really a cable CO. People call that a knitted CO because you sort of ‘knit’ the stitches on the needle, except the other needle tip goes [I]between[/I] the sts rather than into the end stitch which is usually what’s known as the knit CO.

Some of the names are rather comical. I noticed this on one website. They offered yarn, needles, lessons, etc. and tried to make it sound like it was such a progressive website in order to get you to spend money. They presented a cast on called the E wrap. They made it sound like it was some new invention of theirs and cutting edge. This was the same tired old backward loop that’s been around forever. What’s the expression? You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig. And what exactly is Vickie Howell trying to sell? I would trust Amy. The names she uses are the correct ones that are widely recognized by knitters all over the USA.

Vickie Howell has been the designer for Caron yarns, now working for Bernat since they bought them out. I think she’s just trying to explain knitting, even though using different names for the COs, lots of people use the same ones too. I never knew kfb is also known as the bar increase, it just depends on where you grew up and what things are more commonly referred to. I think it’s good that we share ideas and names online, it broadens everyone’s knowledge base.