Did ya' ever wonder......? (Sock thinking)

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]…why people tell you that making a sock toe-up is more wonderful, because you can make it as tall as you want without worrying about running out of yarn? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Unh uh ! Not unless you’re doing two at once, or you have two skeins of yarn !:?? Am I missing something?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]…dotty…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I liked the toe up socks when I was afraid to learn how to kitchener. :aww: Now, with Amy’s video, I can graft with the best of them.

Toe up socks are fun to make though. And you can try them on for length as you go.

I’m just tired of all the “my way is better” stuff.

It’s whatever floats your boat.

But you can have a more informed opinion if you’ve tried both ways.

I just like making toe up socks. That’s me. They’re both great methods, use whichever you prefer. You get a sock, either way.

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I totally agree, and I’m not trying to pick a fight. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I make both kinds, and have things I love about both, but I do think that is a bit misleading.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]And I try my ‘cuff-down’ socks on all the way through ! In fact, I find it easier to know when to do the heel with cuff-downs…I started this last toe-up sock’s heel when my needle reached the top bend of my foot (at the ankle), but I could have gone a little farther I think. Well, the lace design looks better when stretched anyway ! :lol:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/1306213597/ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You can always split a skein of yarn before starting it… I do it all the time.

I haven’t knit two socks at one time yet but been thinking about it… and wondered how you would do this so you could from one skein…how do you make sure it’s split evenly? :thumbsup:…do you keep weighing it as you seprate it…or do you use a yarn meter like KP carries?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]I have to agree with you dotty! I try cuff down socks on all the time…no biggie and certainly no harder than trying on toe up socks. Maybe those feeling that way have issues with knowing when to start the toe… [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]I’ve recently started dividing up my sock yarn into two balls and knitting two socks at the same time on seven DPNs. Works great! And if I ever ran out of yarn, my socks would just have different colored toes. No biggie, again! :shrug::shrug:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

My way of doing it might be a bit tacky, although (or McGyver-ish :P) I’ve got this guitar stand thing, where two prongs on the top, and two prongs on the bottom, farther apart. I just wind from both ends of the skein at the same time, until the ends meet, cut, and then I can wind into balls at my leisure.

I do know people will wind their yarn into a ball, weigh, then wind what they figure it half off, weigh again until they get it right. Which is also apparently a good way to get the stripping of socks to match up, since both are being worked from the same starting point of yarn, outwards

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]That’s how I do it. I weigh the skein, figure half and start rolling the ball, weighing every so often till I reach the half amount. Then cut and roll another. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Oh, to have a digital scale, a swift, and a ball winder…and hold on…don’t go anywhere,…I can probably think of a few more knitting goodies to put on my wish list ! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]But, alas, my poor little, yard-sale find, postal scale from 1776 (just kidding !) just won’t narrow things down enough to tell when I’ve reached the halfway point. But I might just follow Orangeus’s method ! I just hate for whatever I have leftover to be in two balls…I just might want to make a lovely ‘sock yarn remnants’ sweater some day ! :lol: Actually, the leftovers are more likely to become baby/child socks, or heels and toes, so it’s still good to have 2 separate balls ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Oh, heck[SIZE=5][COLOR=magenta]…IT’S ALL GOOD ! :muah:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You can make a cheap niddy noddy out of PVC piping and joints. Just wind all your yarn with even tension, count the number of wraps and divide into two.

Another way is to make a centre pull cake of yarn where can pull the yarn ends from both the center and the sides. You can just use your thumb like in this knittinghelp video (bottom of page)
or use atoilet roll, pencils.

I have a little food scale in the kitchen that I also use for weighing yarn when splitting skeins. It was not too expensive and it comes in handy for both cooking and knitting and also I weigh my mail on it so I know how much postage to put on it.