Determining Gauge

Hello,
I’m trying to knit a hat for my husband pattern here…Men’s Hat the gauge says 19 sts and 25 rows=4" in stockinette. I created a swatch (actually I made two) to determine my gauge b/c I’m a very tight knitter. My question is when determining my gauge do I measure my swatch’s width to see if it is 4"? And are there 19 sts within that 4"? Also, if I divide 19sts by 4" will that determine how many sts per inch I need? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
:blush:

You need to knit more than just the 19 stitches and 25 rows. Stockinette likes to curl on the side edges in one direction and the cast on and off edges in the other. I would cast on at least 30 stitches. Knit 3 or 4 rows in garter stitch before switching to stockinette. Then knit the at least 30 rows of the stockinette as follows: RS knit, WS k3, purl to 3 from end, k3. Then knit another 3 or 4 rows in garter stitch. That way the swatch doesn’t roll up and you have a good size sample in the middle to measure. Place a ruler along a row and count the number of stitches to 4 inches then do the same for the rows.
If your pattern just goes by how many inches around and inches tall, the gauge doesn’t matter much. But it will give you an idea how many stitches to cast on and how many rows you’ll need to knit to get a good size hat out of it.

Thank you Metylda! When you instruct to “Place a ruler along a row and count the number of stitches to 4 inches then do the same for the rows.” Are you saying to continue to count for the remaining rows? And when I place the ruler am I to place it width wise or length wise? I I don’t know why establishing gauge alludes me so. :slight_smile:thank you

Sorry, place the ruler along a row and count the number of stitches in 4". Then place the ruler along a column of stitches and count the number of rows to 4".

This is my current project. Since I’m still working on it, it hasn’t been blocked yet. I’m currently getting 21 stitches/35 rows to a 4" square. Once it’s blocked, it will be closer to 24 stitches/32 rows to a 4" square.
I hope this clears up any confusion. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I will try this! Thank you very much!! :smiley_cat:

1 Like