Decreasing

Hi! I am still pretty new to knitting but I got some of the basics down. I am knitting my 3 yr old daughter a hat for winter and am using the Seed Stitch pattern. I would like to just knit a basic seed stitch hat all around. I have already knitted about 5 inches so now it’s time to decrease and this is where I run into my problem. How do you decrease on a pattern that is not consistent like a stockinette stitch? I am suppose to K2tog every 5 however that forces me to also knit the knit when I should be purling the knit. This created a hole and I am stumped. :shrug: I can’t find any tutorials anywhere. Is there a specific way to decrease on a seed stitch? Help!

Thank you in advance :smiley:

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
The most important thing is to maintain the look of the seed stitch. When you decrease, you’ll interrupt that pattern, but you should get back into it immediately after the decrease. That may mean having 2 knit sts in a row, but that’s ok. As long as the seed stitch pattern from the row below is continued, you’ll be fine. The decreases will start to line up on the top of the hat and that will make a nice pattern too.

Thank you so much :smiley:

I will try this, hopefully I understood correctly.

To recap, you are saying to decrease as usual (knit 2 together every 5) and continue the seed stitch pattern following the row below. In other words, continue to knit the purl and purl the knit whichever comes next after the decrease?

Yes, that’s right. Pay attention to the next stitch on the lefthand needle and if it’s a knit, purl it on the current row. If it’s a purl, knit it on the current row.

Ok great! Thank you so much!