Decreasing rows for sweater!

Hello! I’m having a hard time interpreting this pattern. I’m working on the sleeve for a sweater, and the pattern says this:

Keeping sts correct and working all raglan decreases as now set, dec 2 sts at each end of 5th and every foll 6th row to 43 sts, [B]then on every foll 4th row until 19 sts rem.[/B]

What I don’t understand is the “then on every foll 4th row until 19 sts rem.” Does it mean I do the 5th row decrease then 6th row decrease, then 4th row decrease then the following 5th row decrease? I really have no idea what is going on here, I’m not sure which row I should be decreasing and how often.

decrease 2 stitches at the end of the 5th row (once) and then every 6th row (11th, 17th, 23rd, 29th, etc) until there are 43 stitches. you’re now DONE with that section, no more 5th/6th row decreases. starting from there, you’ll want to still decrease 2 stitches, but you’ll do that on every 4th row, from that point, until you reach 19 stitches. so from that point, it would be the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, etc rows.

hope that helps.

But if I do that, then I will be decreasing 2 sts on the RS each time, which means only one side of the sleeve, and the diagram for the sleeve slows an even decreasing on both ends so that it comes up like a triangle, which is why I am confused.

if it’s worded as 2 decrease stitches every 4th row, then that’s what will happen, a triangle, yes. but a gradual triangle, a gradual narrowing. 2 stitches, every 4th row, going from 43 to 19 stitches, will take 12 decreases, which is 40-something rows. (start with 43 that becomes 41, stays 41, stays 41, stays 41, becomes 39, stays 39, stays 39, stays 39, becomes 37, and so on) that’s a very gradual decrease. which is correct for sleeve shaping.

do you have a link to the pattern? maybe there’s some errata or mistakes that have been addressed. or maybe it’s listed somewhere else in the pattern that once you get to that part, you’ll decrease 2 stitches, but it’s one at the start of the row, one at the end of the row… sometimes patterns put their notes in funky spots.

X, you’ve got it right, the pattern says to decrease 2sts at [I]each end [/I]and that accounts for 4sts/row.
Keeping sts correct and working all raglan decreases as now set, dec 2 sts at [I]each end[/I] of 5th and every foll 6th row to 43 sts, then on every foll 4th row until 19 sts rem.

ah, then i’ve got it wrong. 2 at each end, not just 2 at the end-end. you’re losing 4 stitches total each row, but still only doing that every 4th row.

so, then it’s starting with 43 stitches, decrease 2, knit across to nearly the end, decrease another 2. then pattern knit the next 3 rows. then do another decrease/pattern/decrease row, then pattern knit 3 rows. so that will be evenly decreased.

the stitch counts will end up being
start with 43
decrease to 39
knit 39
knit 39
knit 39
decrease to 35
knit 35
knit 35
knit 35
decrease to 31
etc

it will take 21 rows to get to 19 stitches.

sorry for that confusion, and thanks to salmonmac for catching that detail :wink:

Thank you guys very much! I’ve been doing it wrong, which is frustrating to have to go back and fix, but at least I’ve got it now!