Decreasing K1 P1

I am making a hat and I need to decrease. I have knitted K1 P1 and I need to know how I should go about decreasing. I know that I need to knit or purl 2 together, but since the stiches alternate how should I do it?

HELP

Off the top of my head, I have a hard time thinking how this would go, but maybe take a look at this pattern which calls for just what you’re asking about and gives a good description of how to do it.

Thank you for the quick response! I am knitting flat and not in the round so it makes it more confusing. Plus I am a newbie

Does the pattern that I linked help, or do you need further explanation?

It is still a bit confusing. SHould I knit 2together then knit 1 and Purl 2 then purl 1 and so on…?

Also, how many sitches do I decrease in one row?

Well, I guess it depends if you’re following a pattern or not?? If not, could you let us know how many stitches you’re working with and we can help you figure it out.

I casted on 72 sitches. I tried to follow a pattern and realized after I was too far into it to that I should have k2 p2. So now that I will begin decreasing I am not sure how to do it and how many to deacrease on one row.

Even though you did a different stitch pattern than the pattern asked for, you should still do the same # of decreases as the pattern asked you to do. Is there a link to the pattern? Sorry I feel like I’m being rather vague, but my brain isn’t functioning properly today and I need to see it right in front of me. Any more info?

I got it from a book:

To shape the crown:

ROW 1: k2 tog. p2; rep to end (54 sts)
Row 2: k2 tog, p1; rep to end (36 sts)
Row 3-4: k1, p1; rep from end
Row 5: k2 tog; rep from end (18 sts)
Row 6: k2 tog; rep from to end (9 sts)

Does that help? Thank you!

These directions will work for k2p2 ribbing, but not k1p1.

Let’s see.

Taking the general rule of thumb with decreases on hats, I’d start my decreases with rib 7, work two together. I picked it because 72 is divisible by 9, so you work stitches 8 and 9 together. Whether you knit or purl those two together is up to you. I’d knit two together just because it will be smoother. You won’t be able to have the decreases as part of the rib pattern, I don’t believe. I think you’ll just have to keep your rib as set, decrease, and continue to knit the knits and purl the purls.

On the next row, knit the knits, purl the purls and purl the k2tog.

So the dec rows would go like this, with an even row on the WS.

rib 7, k2tog = 64
rib 6, k2tog = 56
rib 5, k2tog = 48
rib 4, k2tog = 40
rib 3, k2tog = 32
rib 2, k2tog = 14
k2tog across = 7 Pull yarn through these last 7 stitches and pull tight.

I’m not sure that this is the way a k1p1 ribbed hat pattern would be written, but this is the best I can come up with. Hope it helps