Decreasing in a tam hat

I have a pattern for a tam hat with has a six point star color chart for the top portion. There is a 180 stitches after the brim is done. There are two rows of the star pattern before the third row where there is only 178 stitches. My question is this: Where do I do the decrease? On stitch number 177? The decrease stitch is done as follows: sl 2 as if to knit, Knit 1, p2sso. Stitch number 177 of course is the stitch just before the end of a row. Will the decrease cause the star pattern to be disrupted? I have looked at several videos on tams but they don’t explain this. I am following a chart for the color pattern. I am at the point of decreasing. The pattern does not indicate on which stitch to do the decrease. The pattern was taken from a book written by Susan Anderson-Freed and is called “Six point leaf and flower tam”.

Can you give us a link and name of the pattern please? There are tons of patterns so it really helps when you’re asking questions. If it’s in a book then you can type out a few lines of the part you’re having problems with (do not post the whole pattern).

It should tell you how to do that in your pattern. Are you at the point at which you decrease?

I am at the point of decreasing. The pattern does not indicate on which stitch to do the decrease. The pattern was taken from a book written by Susan Anderson-Freed and is called “Six point leaf and flower tam”.

The decrease should show up in the chart. It may change the number of sts between points of the star, but that should be indicated in the chart as well.
Can you post a link to the pattern or the name of the pattern? It’s unusual that the st number would go from something divisible by 6 to a number that isn’t but perhaps there are further decreases in following rows? I’d be tempted to ignore this decrease if it’s just a single one.

Okay, here’s the pattern. It’s in a book so not free and there is no picture so the link goes to the two projects so we can at least see what it looks like.

The pattern nor instructions cover the decrease, except that it occurs in every other row. There is no link to post and the picture in the book only shows a six point chart. I have contacted the author but her return emails don’t answer the question.

OK, how many decreases like this are there? You mention that the decrease (a 2 st decrease) occurs on every other row. For how many rows? You could also contact the person who has knit the tam and posted the finished hat on Ravelry and see if she can offer some advice.

It sounds like you just need to dec 2 sts so you have the right number to start working the chart. You can do a double dec anywhere (that’s the sl2, k, psso) or 2 single decs, about 1/3 and 2/3 around the row. Or if there’s a double dec on the chart, you can place it so it would be lined up below the ones that come after it.