Decreases "in pattern"

I’m having trouble with decreases for a rib & cable pattern. I’ve been looking on the net for information but I found a lot of conflicting information especially as to slant direction and whether it can/should be worked on the front side of the work.

My problem stems from needing to decrease and stay in pattern. Therefore, sometimes I need

1. a decrease that is worked on the right side, leans left when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a purl stitch on the right side
  2. a decrease that is worked on the right side, leans left when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a knit stitch on the right side
  3. a decrease that is worked on the right side, leans right when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a purl stitch on the right side
  4. a decrease that is worked on the right side, leans right when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a knit stitch on the right side
  5. a decrease that is worked on the wrong side, leans left when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a purl stitch on the wrong side
  6. a decrease that is worked on the wrong side, leans left when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a knit stitch on the wrong side
  7. a decrease that is worked on the wrong side, leans right when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a purl stitch on the wrong side
  8. a decrease that is worked on the wrong side, leans right when viewed from the right side, & ends up as a knit stitch on the wrong side.

I want to create a reference sheet. I’d appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Wow, that looks complicated! Can you tell us the pattern name and give us a link if possible? It really helps with questions.

Sorry about that.Wasn’t trying to make it complicated. It’s the Rene cardigan, v-neck. It’s a wonderful pattern, well-written with schematics. What makes it difficult for me is that some decreases are done on the right side & some on the wrong side. And you have to stay in pattern so sometimes you’re decreasing two knit stitches, sometimes two purl stitches, sometimes a purl into a knit, and sometimes a knit into a purl. The decreases are all near the edge of the pieces and are close to the seam (the pattern calls for the use of a selvedge stitch) but will still be visible and I don’t want to disturb the pattern.

Very good-looking sweater.
It seems to me that there are two things that you can do. One is (for the RS) to use a k2tog on the left front and a ssk on right front for the V-neck. On the reverse side, work the sts as they appear (a purl). If you have to decrease on a WS row, use a p2tog on the left front and a p2tog tbl on the right front. That’ll give you lines of knit sts running up the fronts just inside the selvedge stitch. You can see it here:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Hatchick/rene-3

The other is to make the decreases as above at the edges where they will become part of the seam. That will give you a look more like this:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/darcytx/rene