Decrease Questions

The pattern in a vest I am making has a 4 row pattern. I need help on the decreases.

Pattern is worked over 64 stitches
Row 1: K1, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 3 sts, P2, K1
Row 2 and 3: P1, K2, P2, rep from o last 3 sts, K2, P1
Row 4: Repeat Row 1

Decreases: Continue in pattern, decreasing 1 st at each end of next row (which is Row 1 of Pattern) and 4 more times every 8th row. (54 sts).

When I do the decreases, at the beginning and end of Row 1 - how do I do the decreases? Are they different at the beginning of the row vs. the end of the row?

Also, I’m assuming as I make the decreases I have to stay within the pattern and make allowances as I will have less stitches to work with?

I have the same question when I do the front panels of the vest as well, regarding what types of decreases to do at the beginning and end of the rows on left panel and right panel - number of decreases are the same as on back with same pattern - different amount of CO stitches and there is a cable pattern worked in as well.

Thanks for the help!

At the beginning of the row, you usually do a ssk/sl 1, k1, psso left leaning decrease and a k2tog right leaning dec at the end. Yes, you would subtract the decreased sts from the pattern repeat.

Sue: Thanks so much. That’s what I thought. Because the pattern is a combinations of K2, P2 etc. if the decrease at the beginning of the row is on a P1, K1, K1 - do I treat the decrease as a knit decrease or a pearl decrease or if the decrease is on a P1, P1, K1, K1 - then I’m assuming I have to do a P decrease? How would I do that? Thanks again.

You can do either a knit or purl dec. Probably a k where there’s knits and a p where there’s purls. If you’re going to pick up for an armband, the dec won’t really be noticeable.

Hi Sue: For the pearl decreases - not sure how to do a pearl decrease at a beginning of a row. At the end of a row - do I do P2Tog? Thanks again. Jane