Decrease for armhole help - lace pattern

Hi everyone

If anyone has time could you help me with my armhole shaping on my lace cardigan? I’ve spent hours searching on the forum but I can’t find how to do this.

I am starting my armhole decreasing and it is chevrons and I am totally stuck!

At the moment I have 47 stitches. My pattern says:

1st row: patt2tog, pattern to end (46 stitches left)
2nd row: patt to last 2 stitches, patt 2 tog (45 stitches left)

The full rows are:

1st row: (k1, s1, k1, psso, k3, yfwd, k1), yfwd, k3, s1, k2tog, psso, k3, yfwd, k1
2nd row: purl

The following rows (there are 8 in the lace pattern) are variations of row 1 except the holes move on a stitch.

Could you please tell me how I do this decrease when the second stitch is a slip stitch? I am ready to scream :-)!!

I did also try to replace the bracketed stitches with plain stocking which is how I did the back armholes but it’s not worked this time. I only ended up with 45 instead of 46. I might have done it wrong though as I used 7 knit stitches and knitted two together at the start which could be totally wrong?

I do love knitting lace but for a beginner it is so confusing ha ha. Thank you!

You’re on the right track, changing the first repeat to stockinette stitch. It may help to put in markers at least for this row, so that you can see where the repeats are and also where the 10 stitch ending segment goes. If you have a full repeat of 7sts at the beginning of the row, then that will work.

It’s not completely clear to me where you are in the pattern. The repeat is 7sts and the last segment is 10sts. that makes it seem like you should have 2sts, 5 repeats of 7sts and then the 10st end segment for a total of 47sts. Is that the way the repeats look or are your sts set up differently? Do you have 10sts at the end of the row for that final set or has the end of row been decreased?

Hi Salmonac thank you for helping (again - you helped me with a lace pattern before :slight_smile: ). I would never have got this far without the lifeline tip either I found on the forum!

I’m working on the top left front of a cardigan and I haven’t decreased any stitches yet, this is where I start to decrease. I think I did the back ok because it was a straight 10 across the entire rows.

My pattern for this left front has rows 1 and 2 that I typed out below.

Then:
3rd:(k1, s1, k1, psso, k2, yfwd, k1, p1) *k1, yfwd, k2, s1, k2tog, psso, k2, yfwd, k1,p1 repeat from *
4th: *k1, p9 repeat from * to last 7 stitches then k1, p6
5th: (k1, s1, k1, psso, k1, yfwd, k2, p1) *k2, yfwd, k1, s1, k2tog, psso, k1, yfwd, k2, p1 repeat from * to end
6th: as 4th row
7th: (k1, s1, k1, psso, yfwd, k3, p1) *k3, yfwd, s1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k3, p1 repeat from *to end
8th: purl

I may be totally wrong but I’m wondering if where I’ve got confused is by changing to stocking stitch for the 7 but then knitting two together at the beginning of the first row. Have I already decreased a stitch by changing to stocking so I didn’t need to do this?

Thanks again, this forum is so helpful and saves my sanity ha ha.

OK, I see the repeat now.
Changing the first 7sts to stockinette is the correct thing to do. That first set of sts
(k1, s1, k1, psso, k2, yfwd, k1, p1)
requires 7sts to perform and leaves you with 7sts so no increase or decrease there. If you k1, ssk, k4 you’ll decrease one stitch and end with 6sts in that section and you’ll be ready to start the first pattern repeat within the asterisks.

Thank you very much!

I could do with you coming to stay for a few weeks until I have finished my cardigan :slight_smile: