Decrease bind off with corner to corner knitting?

Hi all!! I am still a newbie and a bit confused :sleepy:
I am working a dishcloth pattern that you knit from corner to corner. For the last 64 stitches I have knit all stitches until the last 2 of a row, then k2tog. The pattern instructed me to k2tog the last 2 stitches and then “fasten off.”

And that’s where I got lost. How do you simply fasten off a stitch? I may be overthinking it, but I tried googling it and all that comes up is different binding off methods, no use of the word fasten. And none of the binding off methods really apply as I have 1 stitch left on my right needle.

I found something called decrease bind off, but I couldn’t figure out a way to apply that to my 1 remaining stitch. Nor did I know if it was what is the correct thing to do!! Can someone shed some light?

Thanks in advance!!

If there are only two stitches you can knit them together (k2tog) then cut the yarn and pull it through the last loop. That’s what I’ve always done.

What dishcloth are you making? Do you have name or link? (don’t post the whole pattern here)

Thanks for answering! Okay I think I may have read that somewhere as well but I kept looking at the stitch thinking that if I pull the yarn through the last stitch it was going to like unravel the stitching. Do you cut it and then pull it through to form a knot??

Here is the link: https://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Slant_Dishcloth__D55552220.html

Thanks for the link. Yes, that is exactly what they want you to do. If you k2tog then cut the yarn to about 6 inches and pull it through the stitch left on the needle it won’t unravel. You then just weave in the end.

It doesn’t create a knot exactly, but it secures it.

Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Hope to see you posting here a lot! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What u have to do is repeat that row until u have 2 sts left on your needle. Then u K2 tog and cut the yarn and draw it thru the last loop.