deciphering my pattern

Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me out with understanding my latest knitting project.
Pattern reads : continue in st st,inc 1st at each end of the needle on the 5th and every 6th row until 45 star are on the needle.
Presently I have 35sts. So no I knit 4 rows - then beg my 5th row inc at each end. Then next row count as 1st row ? When I reach the start of row 6 - inc again- then beg counting again from 1 - increasing on the 5th row? Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
Almost there. Increase on row 5 and then every following 6th row which would be rows 11,17,23 and 29…

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will get straight back to my knitting in the morning. :pray:

Great! Enjoy your project.

It’s my very first attempt at something that I consider my level of challenging (Peter Pan Baby, Bubble Cardigan). I’m loving every minute of it though. Well, up until I’m confused, so I cannot thank you enough for pointing me straight. I will back - with many questions as I skipped the sides of the pattern as I didnt understand the instructions -I completed the back of the pattern and went on to the sleeves.

Very sweet card.

We’re all happy to help.

1 Like

Beautiful sweater think i may give it a try myself. I have a friend that is due in Feb. I think i will try a combination of the pink and gray.

Hello again - sorry to target you with an ambush of questions but I couldn’t figure out an easy way to repost a follow on question.
I’m still knitting the wee cardigan. And I’m onto the right front (round neck) version and I’m stuck on the instructions. I’ve ribbed my first 4 rows - and this is where I’m now confused. I don’t understand how and where I have the multiple rows of 5th and 6th ?
I don’t know if I have explained this well - but any pointers would be most greatly appreciated. Kindest regards Nicky

Hi foufy! I think you might be a litle confused. You state that you worked 4 rows, the pattern says to work ribbing for 4cm or 1 1/2 inches ending with a 2nd row. You are then going to follow the directions for row 5 and 6. I think you misunderstood 4cm to mean 4 rows. Hope this helps if not let me know

Hi Trisha thank you for helping me. I stopped knitting after row 4 because the pattern says at the same time make a button hole and I didn’t quite understand when I was to begin that part.So after I rib for 4cm - then what do I do ?

It seems to me that the reason for the “at the same time” direction is that while you’re knitting your 4-5cm of rib, on the 5th row, make a buttonhole. The 6th row finishes the buttonhole and then the rib continues if necessary to 4-5 cm.
Rows 5 and 6 are only worked once if you need a buttonhole in the rib on the right front. If you’ve already made the buttonholes on the left front then you can of course skip them here.

I skipped knitting the left side of the pattern because I’m making the wee cardigan for a girl - so do I just knit the one button hole and then carry on with the pattern - and later on make the other button holes ?
So sorry for all the questions.

That’s right. In the next directions, you’ll put the button band on a holder or safety pin while you knit the main body of the right front

I have to agree with salmonmac.

Thank you for the advice - I’m about to get knitting , so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Just me again - I have undone all my knitting as the rib pattern looked like a differ by stitch ? I’ve googled and googled to see what I may have done wrong - and I think it’s because the k1 p1 is for an even amount of stitches as opposed to the previous working of 67 stitches - could this be right ?
I think I should be doing k1 p1 and just repeating this - instead of k1 p1 then p1 k1 … ? Am I right or have a managed to confuse myself yet again.
Again, thank you for any assistance

Yes, you’ve solved your problem. For an even number of sts, you’ll end k1,p1 rib on a purl stitch. The next row begins with k1,p1 again. Actually, the best way to do this is to look at your knitting. If you see a V on the left needle from the previous row, knit it. If you see a bump or collar, purl it. That’ll keep columns of knits and purls aligned for ribbing.

I can’t begin to thank you enough. I love knitting so much- even when I want to pull my hair out. I don’t believe I would have continued with this pattern without all the wonderful support I’ve received.

I’m glad you’re on your way with this little sweater. We’d love to see a photo when you finish.
We’re all happy to try and help anytime.