Deciphering a pattern!

Hi…I need help, again…! This is an English pattern…can anybody tell me what the following means?
SHAPE RAGLAN
Next row. Cast off 4 stitches, knit to end.
Next row. Purl **
What does the two asteriks mean??
Thanks!! :?? :?? Please explain in the simplest terms possible…I’m inexperienced!!

Is that all it says?? Is there a ** at the bottom of the page that tells you what it means, kind of like a footnote? Often in knitting patterns, there are a lot of asterix’s used but they always have instructions in between them and are used to indicate a pattern repeat. That doesn’t seem to be the case here though.

Were you also unsure about the ‘Cast off 4 stitches, knit to end’ part? If so, you will cast off 4 stitches at the beginning of the row (the same as bind-off, video can be found here), then work only knit stitches until you get to the end of the row.

Yes, that is all it says…This pattern has been very frustrating…I had to actually write to the company to decipher the instructions! I got all different interpretations from experienced knitters! Maybe it means to purl to the end like I have to knit to the end…??? :wall:

Is there a web-link of the pattern that you could share with us?

knitting-helpline@sirdar.co.uk
It takes a couple of days for them to respond. Thanks for all your help! :happydance:
Anyone else ever use this pattern and have the same problems???

Maybe it means to repeat those two rows. That would make sense to make the armhole decreases. :shrug:

But you’d be decreasing on only one edge… :??

sue

That would make sense, if it was the front of a cardigan.

Lin, what is the next set of instructions??

Well, I just purled the next row…it all seems to have worked out ok…it is the front side of the cardigan…I have the correct amount of stitches left, so I don’t think I was suppose to decrease any on the purl**.
The next set of instructions are:
Wrok 12 rows dec 1 st at raglan edge in next and every foll 6th row. I’m suppose to end up with 15 stitches, which I did…Now, I only hope it fits my granddaughter…the more I look at it, the smaller it looks…Oh! The joy of knitting!!! :teehee:

Sounds like you’ve got things figured out! :happydance:

Yes, I did…I think!! Thanks everyone for all your help!! :muah: