Dec. Inc. Question

Hi All… this pattern is a 1 on a 1-5 scale on ease… but I can’t wrap my brain around it!

Drops Design (LOVE love their stuff) tank top.

Problems in [COLOR=Navy][B]blue bold[/B][/COLOR].
Rib: Row 1 (right side): * P 3, K 2 *, repeat from * - *.
Row 2 (wrong side): * K 3, P 2 *, repeat from * - *.

Decreasing tips: All decs are made on right side rows.
[COLOR=Navy] Dec by P 2 tog each side of the center 6 sts.[/COLOR][B][COLOR=Navy]

so do I Purl the knit and next purl stitches together?
[/COLOR][/B]
Increasing tips:

• you must inc 1 st at each side for every dec at center.
  • Inc on right side rows by K 2 sts in 1 st.
    [COLOR=Navy]- Make incs inside 1 edge st to keep the edge smooth.
  • Knit the increased sts in the rib pattern.

[B]Seems to contradict: Increase 1 stitch in, BUT, knit the increased sts in rib pattern… but if I am starting on a “RIGHT” side, the first 3 stitches are purl…??? OR does it mean when I do the next row, keep in pattern?
[/B][/COLOR]
Front: Cast on and knit rib, keeping 1 edge st – begin and end rib with P 3 at each side. Put a marker at center front, between 2 K sts.
After 1 cm start dec at the center front and inc at sides – see Decreasing tips and Increasing tips above – dec and inc every other row.

[COLOR=Navy]I guess, I am not sure HOW I keep the pattern, if I am loosing parts of my pattern by inc. and dec… I cast on with scrap yarn, to try and figure out, but still can’t… not even sure if my questions makes sense, I am so confused…
[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Navy] so do I Purl the knit and next purl stitches together?

[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=Black]If those are the two stitches on the outside of the center 6, then yes.

[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Navy][B]Seems to contradict: Increase 1 stitch in, BUT, knit the increased sts in rib pattern… but if I am starting on a “RIGHT” side, the first 3 stitches are purl…??? OR does it mean when I do the next row, keep in pattern?

[/B][I][COLOR=Black]Knit them in pattern on the next row.[/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][I]Front: Cast on and knit rib, keeping 1 edge st – begin and end rib with P 3 at each side. Put a marker at center front, between 2 K sts.
After 1 cm start dec at the center front and inc at sides – see Decreasing tips and Increasing tips above – dec and inc every other row.

[/I]In order to keep the pattern after decreases and increases, knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you.
[COLOR=Navy][/COLOR][COLOR=Navy][/COLOR]

Thank you…

OK, so I disregard the start/end with 3 purls once I get into the pattern, right? I guess that’s what was confusing me, cuz I read that to mean I was supposed to do that through out… maybe I am too literal!:wink:

OK, when it says center 6, does it mean 3 on each size of the marker?

Thanks so much! This is only my second attempt at a “wearable”… other than socks…

When I read ‘keep one edge stitch in garter’, I read that as always knitting the first and last stitch, keeping the p3, k2 ribbing between them.

I think that when you’re ready to start the center decreases, it would be easiest to put two markers so that the center 6 are between them. This way you can work up to the first marker, p2tog, work across the center stitches, and then slip the marker and p2tog. It’ll save a lot of counting and double checking that you’re working the correct stitches together.

As always, thanks for your help.
I am supposed to increase on the sides inside that first edge stitch… so that’s why I am not sure how to keep the rib pattern. Because now, my purls will become knits when I increase… so I will do as you said and follow the pattern stitches… I will probably feel like such an idiot when I do it and it works! :slight_smile:

The instructions are usually more clear when you start doing what they say rather than trying to figure them out in your head. Working with the yarn and needles in hand and working it stitch by stitch it makes more sense.