Debbie Bliss Essential Baby Bathrobe

Hi!
I am having trouble with the bathrobe pattern from the Debbie Bliss Essential Baby book, specifically the shoulders. I’ve never made a garment before, so I am having trouble even envisioning how I am supposed to sew the shoulder seams. I have a bad feeling I messed up the pattern somewhere in the actual making of the shoulders, so I’m going to write all the instructions in the making of the shoulders as well. So…this is going to be long…

So after knitting the back of the robe and ending up with a continuous row of 165 stitches, the instructions go like this:

[B]Divide for back and fronts[/B]
[I]Next row[/I] Seed stitch 43 stitches and leave these sts on a holder for the right front, bind off next 8 sts, with 1 st on needle after bind-off, seed st next 62 sts and leave these sts on a holder for back, bind off next 8 sts, with 1 st on needle after bind-off, seed st 42. Working on the last set of 43 sts for left front, work 5.5" more in seed st, ending with a wrong-side row.

[B]Shape shoulder[/B]
Bind off 19 sts at beg of next row.
Work 1 row.
Leave rem 24 sts on a spare needle.

[B]Back[/B]
With wrong side facing, rejoin yarn to 63 sts on back holder, patt to end.
Work even until back measures same as Left Front to shoulder, ending with a wrong side row.

[B]Shape shoulders[/B]
Bind off 19 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Bind off rem 25 sts.

[B]Right front[/B]
With wrong side facing, rejoin yarn to 43 sts on right front holder, patt to end.
Work even until front measures same as Back to shoulder, ending with a right-side row.

[B]Shape shoulder[/B]
Bind off 19 sts at beg of new row. 24 sts.
Leave rem sts on a holder.

After all that I come to the hood part of the pattern, and the first instruction is simply “Sew shoulder seams.” …and I can’t figure out how to do that.

I tried to attach a picture of my progress but unfortunately the file was too large. So I made a really basic paint drawing of it to hopefully show how the piece is as of now. Feel free to laugh at it all you want :slight_smile: Thank you!!

Welcome to KH!
The drawing is excellent. The shoulders are the 19 bound off sts on the left and right fronts. You should also have 19sts bound off on either side of the back with 25sts bound off in the center of the back. You can either take out the bind off of 63sts and bind off 19sts on each side of the back (Shape shoulders
Bind off 19 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Bind off rem 25 sts.) The
or seam the 19sts on the left front to about 19sts on the edge of the back and then do the same with the right front.
It may make it easier to see if you fold the right front over at the armhole bind off (the 8sts) and then do the same for the left front. The 19st shoulder seams should align (left shoulder and back, right shoulder and back) and you can pin them in place before seaming.

Oh wow, I did not expect such a speedy reply! That all makes perfect sense! Thanks so much! :smiley: