Dazzle Hat Pattern help

Hi all,

I’m knitting the Dazzle Hat by Katy Osterwald. It uses German Short Rows, which I’ve never done, so I’m finding the instructions a little confusing.

To begin the short rows, you must start a wedge, then move on to the short row, as follows:

FIRST WEDGE:
Row 1 (rs): s3pwyb. With color B, k to 3 stitches before marker. (marker is at beginning of round)
Row 2 (ws): Work GSR, k to 3 stitches before marker.
BEGIN SHORT ROWS:
Row 3 (rs): Turn work, s3pwyb. With color A, k to 2 stitches before color B GSR stitch on previous row (3 stitches in color B, including GSR, will show on left needle).
Row 4 (ws): Work GSR, k to beginning of previous color A row.
Row 5 (rs): Turn work, s3pwyb. With color B, k to 2 stitches before color A GSR stitch on previous row.
Row 6 (ws): Work GSR, k to beginning of previous color B row.

I’ve gotten to Row 4, but it says to knit to the beg of previous color A row. I’m confused where that is. Does it mean knit to the beginning of the round (where the marker is) or, does it mean knit until you get to the 3 slipped stitches (the s3pwyb stitches), which is actually 3 stitches before you get to the beginning of the round?

Thanks for any assistance!

What a stunning looking hat! Love it.
For row 4, knit until you get to the 2nd set of 3 slipped stitches in color B. This will actually be 6sts before the marker.

There are 3 slipped sts at the beginning of row 1. At the end of row 2 you work up to those 3sts (3 sts before marker). At the beg of row 3 you slip 3 more sts (color B) and then switch to color A. This is the point where you want to finish row 4, that is, at the beginning of color A and 6sts from the marker.
This pattern continues so that in row 6 you knit to the beg of color B row which will be 9sts from the marker.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That’s what I needed to know.

I love that hat! It would be a great de-stash hat! Looks complicated so I’m glad you got help!

1 Like

I think it’s going to be fun to knit, after I get the hang of it. I got it at our last knitting fair in CO. I think it will be one of the patterns I make multiple times with different yarns.

I started it with double pointed needles since my circular needles kit doesn’t have a US 3 , but I wasn’t happy with how fiddly it was, so I found a US 3 16" circular needle and it’s going much smoother now. Reading the reviews, it sounds like everyone that’s knitted it has been really happy with it.

1 Like