Dazed and confused!

This is my first sweater and I’ve been relying on Youtube to answer my questions. But now I’m stuck! Here’s my pattern:

(Sorry - they wouldn’t let me use a link to the Redheart website - Season Spanning Cardigan if you want to go there)

[B][U]Cardigan Back[/U][/B] - Cast on 75 sts. Work in Rib pattern for 6 rows. Change to St st and work even until piece measures 15 ¾".

[B][U]Shape Shoulders[/U][/B] - Bind off 7 sts at the beginning of next 2 rows. Bind off 8 sts at the beginning of next 2 rows. Bind off 10 sts at the beginning of next 2 rows. Place remaining 25 std onto a holder.

[B][I]Collar[/I][/B] - With RS facing, pick up and knit 19 sts beginning just before the held back neck sts. Knit 25 sts from holder, then pick up and knit 19 std, ending at same point on left front band. work in Rib pattern for 6 rows. Bind off.

My question: I have knitted all major parts and connected the shoulder seams. Now they are telling me to pick up stitches around the front neck edge - then knit the held back stitches on the holder - then the other neck edge. My problem - when I finished the back and put the last 25 stitches on a holder, I left my ball of yarn attached thinking I would need it. But if I knit the collar as instructed, what do I do with the random tail from the back that is still connected to the ball of yarn?

Many thanks to whoever spends their precious time to help a newbie!!!

Welcome to KH. Thanks for enough info to find the pattern. I’m posting the link then will look more closely at your question to see if I can help. If I can’t someone else will.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/season-spanning-cardigan
PDF http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/WR1985.pdf

ETA I’m not sure of the answer so I’ll leave it for someone else.

Many thanks GG!!!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
It was a good idea to leave the yarn attached just in case you could use it but in this case, you won’t be able to. Cut the yarn leaving about a 6 inch tail to weave in later. Start picking up sts at the front as directed with a new end of yarn. When you’ve finished the collar, you’ll be able to weave the yarn tail into the collar seam at the picked up sts.
Very pretty cardigan and a wonderful first sweater.

Salmonmac - thank you sooooo much!!! How nice to find this help site as I’m sure this won’t be my last question! Maybe one day I’ll be able to help someone else :smiley: Thanks again for taking time to help me over this hump!!!