Dashing Thumbs - Please help!

Hi all,

I’m knitting Dashing fingerless gloves as a Christmas present for my Dad. I finally concurred my cable fear and cabled me some fab wrists! But now I’m up to the thumb. I’ve never used waste yarn before, and to be honest, the pattern direction are a little scary!

[I]"[B]Place Thumb Opening[/B]
Next Round: Work 12[13] sts in patt, k5[6] using waste yarn;
slip these 5[6] sts back to left needle and work them again, in patt, using working yarn; continue in patt to end.
Work 18 rounds in Rib Pattern.

BO All Stitches.

[B]Thumb[/B]
Carefully remove waste yarn and place resulting live sts on two double-point needles; there will be 5[6] sts below the opening and 4[5] sts above. Attach yarn and, continuing in Rib Pattern, work the 5[6] sts on lower needle; using a second needle, pick up and k 3 sts in space between upper and lower needles, work first 2 sts from upper needle; using a third needle, work remaining 2[3] sts from upper needle and pick up and k 3 sts in space between this needle and lower needle. 15[17] sts.
Work 9 rounds in Rib Pattern." [/I]

I’m probably gonna come back to you guys with a lot of questions on this one :muah: in advance! But my first question is are there any vids on the Waste Yarn thing (I did look, can’t find!) or does anyone have any wise words to make it less scary?

Thanks, Love ya’all!

Fae:hug:

You can also use a stitch holder. What you are doing is keeping several stitches ‘live’ because you can’t knit the thumb and the hand at the same time. so you put the stitches that will become the base of the thumb on a stitch holder or waste yarn to keep them ready for you till you are ready to knit them. If you didn’t do this, you would have a bunch of dropped stitches.

You put those stitches on a needle holder or waste yarn and then knit the hand per directions. When you are finished with the hand, you will put your thumb stitches back on your needles, join yarn, and knit the thumb per directions.

I hope this helps you… I was unable to locate a video on this.

Yup, just string a piece of yarn through those stitches–yarn is more flexible, so it’s your best bet to knit the join above the thumb tightly.

"Place Thumb Opening
Next Round: Work 12[13] sts in patt, k5[6] using waste yarn;
slip these 5[6] sts back to left needle and work them again, in patt, using working yarn; continue in patt to end.
Work 18 rounds in Rib Pattern.

After you knit the first 12 (13) stitches take a piece of a different color yarn (it doesn’t have to be long) and knit the next 5 (6) stitches with that color. Then take those stitches and put them back on the left hand needle and knit them again using the “real” yarn. Finish up the glove.

After you are done with the rest of the glove you will come back and pick up the stitches below and above the waste yarn, then pull the yarn out. (At least that is how I do it because I am afraid if I pull out the yarn first I will lose all of those stitches.) Pick up a the other stitches between the needles to close any gaps.

Yes, reeny’s right. In this pattern you don’t put the stitches on scrap yarn, you knit the thumb sts with it, then slip them back to the left needle and reknit with the glove yarn. Later, you take out the scrap yarn and put the stitches on the needle and you have 5 or 6 lower sts and the same number of upper stitches. The odd yarn acts as both a stitch holder and provisional cast on.

Thanks all!

I’ll be following Reeny’s english version of the pattern later tonight - that makes much more sense! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Thank you! I’ve done the waste yarn knitting, and although I can’t easily see how it comes out yet, I’m sure it will!

I’ll probably revisit later if I need more help when it comes to knitting up the thumb!

Fae:cheering: :cheering: :hug: :happydance: :grphug:

I’m glad I was able to help.