Nope. You'll find a variety of projects from all the knitters here. I think people knit scarves and hats frequently because they tend to be quick and easy items. I like knitting shawls, socks, mittens, sweaters, dish scrubbies, scarves, hats, and just about anything that looks like fun. Lately my knitting has exposed me as the ultimate nerd! Since Christmas I have knitted the following:
1. Bigger on the inside shawl (the top half is lace, the bottoms half is a row of TARDISes)
2. a hat shaped like a Klein bottle and striped to the digits of Pi
3. A pair of striped socks (inspired by the Doctor Who scarf)
4. A screen-accurate season 12.5 Doctor Who scarf
5. An afghan based on the Fibonacci sequence
6. A pair of hobo gloves
7. Two stuffed dragons
8. A double knit dish towel with weeping angels on both sides--more Doctor Who! (I have plans that this will be part of a full kitchen set)
9. A baby blanket (technically a shawl pattern) that looks like a diatom
10. A baby blanket in a hexagon shape with a rainbow color fade
Inserted between some of these are about a dozen dish scrubbies, 180 floating candles and 3 carved candles (I do more than knit, but mostly knit).
Next up...I haven't decided yet. I'm still trying to finish the border to the dish towel. But I think another baby blanket for my neighbor's son's fiancé.