Crooked Knitted Piece

Well, if you turned in the middle of a row and reknit some of the sts, that would actually be over 2 rows, so that’s close to a quarter inch if your row gauge is 7-8 rows per inch.

It looks like your BO is tight in the picture on the left, that could account for part of it, and maybe your tension changed as you went along - looser at first and getting tighter about halfway through. The lower edge seems very even from the CO edge to the end of the stripes, then seems to ‘shrink’ in. So maybe you were knitting looser during the color changes and tightened up later.

The measurement going crosswise - with the stripes - is the same all the way across. The edge rolled under when I took the picture.

The bind off wasn’t extrememly tight but I did have to pay attention and try to stay loose. Is there a way to prevent a tight bind off? Thanks,

rimna

There are some stretchy bind offs but you can also just use a one or two sizes larger needle in your right hand when you bind off.
Actually the purse looks very good and may just square up a bit more with blocking.

Okay, I can understand the edge would have curled. Yeah, just try the BO with a larger needle, that should help. Then block it out flat and it should square up then.

I started pulling the purse apart and about half way I found a row that I did start the wrong way when I picked it up to continue knitting. Looks more square now but I think I’m going to block it again before pulling out more rows to see if there’s another mistake.

The stretchy bind off looks terrific I can’t wait to try it. I make leg warmers for my niece and granddaughter and this bind off will make a huge difference. Thanks for the link.

You’re both moderators - I have a question. I am a left-handed knitter but still find this site very helpful. It takes a bit of ‘reverse’ thinking but I usually can figure out the left-handed version but has it ever been considered to include left-handed knitting videos on the site?

When you say ‘left handed’ do you mean that you work the sts off the right needle to an empty left needle? The videos were made by and feature Amy the owner and she’s primarily a continental knitter. If you search posts, I thinks there’s a link to a lefthanded knitting site which may have videos, and I think Youtube has a few as well.

Many truly left handed knitters knit “right handed”. Some use continental method where you carry the yarn in your left hand, some use the English method where you carry the yarn in your right hand. Of all the knitters I know personally only one truly knits left handed.

And yes, if you are truly a left handed knitter there are some websites for technique.

The needle in my left hand is empty and the needle in my right hand has the stitches on it. I manipulate the stitches with the empty needle in my left hand off of the needle in my right hand.

When I knit a stitch I put the needle in the stitch from right to the left. When I purl I put the needle in the stitch from the left to the right. From what I understand this makes me a true left-handed knitter.

I’ll check out the continental videos but I have a difficult time with picking up the yarn when I try this method.

Yep, you’re a true lefthanded knitter. You’d probably only need to swap the decreases, or just make sure that you get left and right leaning decreases as appropriate. There’s a group at ravelry.com called On the Other Hand where you can probably get some tips.

Thanks - I’ll check them out.

Glad you worked out the knitted purse. How lovely to have and use your grandmother’s needles.
I’m a committed leftie who knits right-handed. I enjoyed these reflections on left-handed knitting.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information.

I wanted to knit something using my grandmother’s needles and with them being so small - size 0 - I chose a small project. Little did I know that I would make a small mistake that made such a big problem.

I can’t imagine knitting sweaters with these needles especially with Scandinavian designs like my grandmother did but it is satisfying to use her needles even for a small project.

Thanks again,
rimna

I’ve been following this thread and I’m glad you got it figured out; I couldn’t find anything helpful to add. It’s a small thing like that that can really make everything come out wrong and be such a pain. A bigger, more obvious error would have been easier to spot. Little things can be such a problem sometimes.

Using your grandmother’s needles is awesome. I like to think that someday one of my grandkids would like to use mine.

I found this forum by googling about my crooked knitting but I want to talk about knitting left handed. And also my crooked knitting.
Here is my story, I am teaching myself to knit because knitting and quilting are the only two things I don’t know how to do. I struggled and struggled with the first few rows of the first square of my sampler afghan I am working on. I watched video after video and it was obvious I was knitting too tight but I couldn’t figure out a way to not knit too tight. It was cumbersome, awkward and slow! After trying, ripping it out and trying again at least 20 times (no exaggeration!) it finally occurred to me that if I turned it around and knitted the other way it might work better for me because I’m left handed. Voila! It was like magic, I am still slow but I was at least I’m making progress and it wasn’t too tight. Now that I have read this post I know that I am a true left handed knitter!
Now for the crooked problem, once I put the sampler afghan together will it pull the square straight? I don’t see any mistakes and I can pull it straight to measure. I’m thinking that it is probably because I knitted tighter in the middle and then started knitting loose again.

Thanks
barbfrank

Welcome!
It could be the difference in tension as you knit that’s causing the square to skew. Have you tried blocking it to square it up?

Are you working with wool, acrylic or another type yarn? What is the stitch pattern in your sampler square?

I have not tried blocking it yet, that is a good idea. The yarn is acrylic and the I’m not sure what the stitch pattern is called but it’s one row of knit stitches then the next row is purl.

I finished it last night but I haven’t cast off yet because I wanted to see what response I got. I think I will cast off and then try blocking it because now that it’s the correct length it doesn’t look as bad as it did when I was only half done.

Thank you
barbfrank

That sounds like stockinette which usually curls quite a bit. Being part of a sampler afghan will stop that but blocking will help a bit too.

That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. The first block I did which was just the knit stitch row after row didn’t curl and wasn’t crooked. When this one started doing that it made me wonder. I’ll block it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
barbfrank

When you knit every row (or purl every row) the stitch pattern is called garter stitch. It lies very flat as opposed to stockinette stitch. It’s a good choice anytime you need a knit item to remain flat.

Sorry, I totally forgot to post how the blocking came out. After blocking the square it is only very slightly crooked, I’m certain it will be fine once sewn together with the other squares of the afghan.

Thanks for your help!
barbfrank