Crocheting for Charity?

Maybe there is a post on this already and I missed it. I would like to crochet squares and/or rectangles for charity afghan projects. Anone know of a project like that going around? I have a huge stash of yarns, including many that would make up into granny squares or multicolor squares. I’m drowning in yarn and want to do something useful with all these leftovers.

There is a afghan square charity kal going on. I can’t see that it makes any difference whether the squares are knitted or Crochet as long as it is 12 inch sq and made with 100% acrylic yarn. worth asking, would be lovely to have the different textures in the blankets.

[SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Blue”]If you are interested in helping to thank those wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq how about joining us at[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“DarkGreen”]The Handmade Afghans to Thank Our Armed Forces Project[/COLOR][/SIZE]

www.rectangle6x9.org

You make 6"x9" acrylic rectangles and send them to be combined with others’ work into handmade afghans that are delivered to
Walter Reed Army Medical Center (in Washington DC) and mailed to Bagram Combat Airfield Hospital (in Afghanistan)

Hope you will join us!!!
Deborah
Founder/National Coordinator

I am collecting the 12 inch afghan squares, made with 100% acrylic yarn (washable). I am seaming them together, and giving them to charity.

Here’s the link about our project:
http://forum.knittinghelp.com/t/squares-of-many-colors-project-complete?t=67442

And our blog:
http://manycolorsknitting.blogspot.com/

Yes, Deb, I discovered your thread a couple of days ago and have started crocheting, have 3 rectangles done and 2 partially done. Several questions. How about bright colors like yellow and orange, the crayon colors? What about Christmas colors like the red-white-green ombre-they could be set aside for later when you start assembling Christmas ones. What about striped rectangles that use 2 or more colors? I have tonsof small lengths of yarn that I would love to use up, in something other than a granny, and I have tons of those made, sitting in a bag.

Bonnie

Bonnie,
Hi! It would be wonderful if you would join The Handmade Afghans Project. Some answers:

[COLOR=“Navy”]How about bright colors like yellow and orange, the crayon colors?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Purple”]Bright colors are great![/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Navy”]What about Christmas colors like the red-white-green ombre-they could be set aside for later when you start assembling Christmas ones.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Purple”]We don’t make special “Christmas” afghans. It is fine to use the ombres in any colors other than “baby” colors[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Navy”]What about striped rectangles that use 2 or more colors? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Purple”]Striped 6"x9" rectangles are nice - please be sure to make at least two of the same stripe pattern/colors and make sure all the yarn ends are neatly tucked in.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Navy”]I have tonsof small lengths of yarn that I would love to use up,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“Purple”]Very, very important - make sure all the yarn you use is 100% acrylic - we can not use any rectangles that contain non-acrylic yarn. Please remember quality over quantity. [/COLOR]

[B]Please, please, please drop me an email at rectangle6x9@comcast.net so I can send you the “welcome note” that includes other information and hints about exactly what we need.[/B]

[I][COLOR=“purple”]Thank you for helping to thank those wounded in service to our country, [I]Deborah[/I][/COLOR][/I]

Bonnie -
a big :thumbsup: thank you to you!!!

your package of 6"x9" rectangles arrived :woohoo:

You’ve been busy!!!
[I]Thank you for helping to thank those wounded in service to our country, Deborah[/I]

Just in case there are any Aussies apart from me who are interested Knit4charities on Yahoo is a group I belong to and they are interested in more than just squares. We have different charities on our calendar for the year and you make something for any of them you like.They are a great Aussie group.