Cool! What Do You Call That?

I can’t imagine not knowing the states even if you’d never been to them all, but the block heater? That’s not something they teach you in school. I was born and raised in southern CA and I never even saw it snow till I was in my late 20s. I did visit my friend in Ottawa a few years ago in Feb and she may have had a block heater, but I don’t remember it. :shrug:

That’s strange that this young woman didn’t know what you were doing! Again, even if you hadn’t actually seen it you’d think she watched TV or read a book. :?? :teehee:

My hubby and I use to go to an Akido class. Or class was going to a workshop in Nevada and one of the guys was asking if we were going to go. He told us that he was going to have to decide really quick because he still needed to apply for his passport. That’s when we started to worry that the rumors about Arkansas were true.

My son’s teacher last year didn’t know what I was doing… she thought I was crocheting with 2 hooks…:teehee:

ohh I hope the older waitress teaches the younger one how to knit…that would be neat :thumbsup:

I seen my mom sew/quilt/crochet/emboridery/cross stitch the whole time I grew up… she would buy me little kits and try to teach me but I didn’t want to… would rather be off in a tree somewhere… it wasn’t till I moved out and had a family of my own I got interested… I wish I had learned when I was younger… would have been easier instead of calling mom up and having her walk me through how to do everything over the phone… she didn’t knit although she knew the basics when she was a child… I have brought her into the knitting world…

Also, I know mom would talk about having to take a home ed class…where she learned to sew and cook (I didn’t want to learn this either)… we didn’t have to by the time I entered the school system… dh prolly wishes we did after his first meal of Lasagna with philly cream cheese instead of cottage cheese…:ick:

Not knowing what a block heater is isn’t something everyone knows, they aren’t used everywhere. I’ve never seen one IRL, and we get a decent amount of freezing weather and snow here in Ohio. AND I was basicly raised in a garage (my dad is a mechanic and own his own service stations). I didn’t know such things even existed until a year ago when they were being discussed on another forum I frequent.

As for people not knowing the states (who live in the US)…there’s no excuse.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]People don’t ask questions anymore or theyjust plain don’t have any curiosity. I don’t know if it’s something about TV that slows the comprehension of something new or that curiosity is discouraged in schools…but it seems that people just don’t have any drive to learn new things or at least learn what they are called. Or maybe because it’s just that there is sooooooooooooooooo much information out there that people need to pick and choose where their minds rest and absorb.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]I’m sure that waitress had seen knitting on TV or in a movie and because it had no place in her reality so dismissed it. :shrug::shrug:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

A long time ago in another life when I was waitressing in a small cafe in Atlanta on a particularly busy, hectic day, a customer stopped me as I was bringing a sandwich to another table and said, “Pardon me, but what do you call that?” :whoosh:

Maybe it was that it was so busy and maybe it was just the way she asked me and maybe I thought “sandwich” was way too obvious, so I looked her straight in the eye and said, “Bob.”

The look on her face was icy. But the view of my boss lady (very proper Southern Belle that she was) laughing her butt off in the back was great.

I like to think that I have learned to hold my tongue better than that these days but probably not.

Best,
Susan

:lol: “Bob!”

When I went on a class trip in grade 12 to West Virginia to do some volunteer work, we had the waitress at the highway McDonalds so impressed that we learned to speak American just for the trip.

But we simply couldn’t explain to her that Canada wasn’t another State.

And on 9/11 when I called my husband’s work sobbing and hysterical his co-workers thought I was the biggest lunatic ever.

Its sad that we can’t help people realize how big the world really is sometimes. The flip side is that there really are days that I wish I could have such a ‘small’ view on the world!

That being said, I’ve never met someone yet who didn’t know what knitting was!

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]I think that many people are fascinated when they see a guy knitting (it’s still seen as such a female thing). I have had a lot of people ask me if I was crocheting. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]I can believe that a young person would not know what knitting was. As a teacher I have found out that many of my students are not exposed to the many leisure activities. Their parents are working two or more jobs, parents haven’t been exposed, or they just don’t take the time. I learned about these activities from my Mother (sewing and crochet) and from art class at school (the public schools are closing many of these programs). Oh yeah, let’s not forget the video games. The video game agers are in the work force now.[/SIZE][/FONT]

:yay: Sounds like the sort of smart-arsed answers I am prone to giving out.

I took Home Ec in high school (gosh, I can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years!).

We learned so much…from how to properly set a table to how to sew (we made aprons…of which I still have mine). Unfortunately, parents don’t provide this kind of instruction anymore, and school budgets simply don’t allow for it.

When we get tired of having to explain the difference between the three states, we just start calling them “Ohidowa”. :teehee:

I took Home Ec in high school (gosh, I can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years!).

In 7th grade (more than 20 years ago!) we rotated manadatory classes including sewing, and cooking, wood shop, and drama. We all had to do it like it or not. In high school I took two sewing classes as electives. Mom made me. I can sew some if I want. If they had taught knitting I’m not sure I would have signed up. No one in my upbring knitted or crocheted but I was exposed to sewing, embroidery, needle point and latch hook!

My son is entering 7th grade and there is a cooking elective- but he isn’t taking it. I asked him and he said he knew sort of what knitting was before I started. Grommit knits in Walace and Grommit shows!

They don’t call it Home Ec anymore, they call it “Life Skills.” And it was an elective at my school, but I didn’t take it. I don’t really feel like I missed out on too much, though I wish I could sew a button. :shrug: (I just don’t understand sewing. My grandmother was a seamstress and tried to teach me. I was just all :zombie:)

How ironic–my kids and I were just talking about this last night! I think a lot has to do with a mindset too that a lot of this stuff seems “outdated”, so there’s not a feeling like there’s a need for it to be taught in schools, which is too bad, because just about everybody needs to know how to properly set a table at some point, or cook a meal, or sew a button back on. Unfortunately, electronics (t.v., video games, DVD’s, CD’s) have overtaken reading and other non-powered, productive activities like embroidery, crochet, tatting, and knitting. It’s sad to that a lot of these beautiful arts are being lost because people either aren’t being taught or don’t have the time, or won’t make the time. Okay…I’ll get off my soap box, now. :teehee:

Jumping on the soapbox here(and saying this with great love and respect for all of us). I think the fact this girl didn’t know what knitting is, shows how well sexism has worked to eradicate “womanly arts” and having women feel good about them. This is one of the major downfalls of feminism (nad I can say that as a professional feminist) Rejecting things like knitting, feminists thought that women didn’t need to take pride in a historically powerful act. Women making cloths and providing warmth for our fmailies should have been something to take pride in. But feminists of the 60’s wanted us to shed this. THat is sad. One of the contradictions about Martha Stewart is that on the one hand she has revived these “womanly arts” yet at the same time has made them so commercial as to be irrelevant again. So as far as I am concerned, knitting and other needle crafts, scrapbooking (preserving an iportant personal history. I mean who wouldn’t give thier right arm to have a scrapbook of our great great greats?) and other importatnt acts that women have historically done to keep our families together is an important part of our history that everyone should be proud of.

OK stepping down from my box now

shows how well sexism has worked to eradicate “womanly arts” and having women feel good about them. This is one of the major downfalls of feminism (nad I can say that as a professional feminist) Rejecting things like knitting, feminists thought that women didn’t need to take pride in a historically powerful act. Women making cloths and providing warmth for our fmailies should have been something to take pride in. But feminists of the 60’s wanted us to shed this.
Oh, wow. I agree 100%. Feminism should be about being equal and having our indidividual talents and skills respected regardless of gender. Not about acting more like men to gain respect. Motherhood, child bearing, care giving professions, and knitting should not be looked down upon as womanly. Feminine and womanly activites shouldn’t even be looked down at. But they are. Oh I could go on and on and on.

Sorry for misdirecting Mason’s original thread. But I think you are right in conjuction with what I previously said about this being such a commercial world. And what other people have said about the lost art of home making- they are still important arts- but just not acknowledged in a postive equal light. And therefore not taught.

I’m always a little taken aback when a young cashier in a grocery store doesn’t know what certain items of produce are. I have gotten questions like, “Is this lettuce?” or “What are these?” on a bag of plums.

I knitted a bit when I was much younger (early 20s), and I remember a guy friend of mine calling the yarn “strings”, which seemed pretty dumb to me at the time. He was a guitarist, but that doesn’t excuse him.

I was lucky enough to be exposed to all sorts of needlework in high school through an elective class called “creative stitchery”. It covered quilting, knitting, crochet, needlepoint, embroidery and whatever else the teacher wanted to throw in there.
It does seem like children now more than ever are not being taught “life skills” either through the schools or at home. I work in a college housing complex and many of our freshmen arrive with little or no knowledge of how to do laundry, cook a simple meal, write a check, address an envelope (true!). If they can’t use their cel phone or the internet to do it, it’s beyond their realm of understanding.

In this school district, Life Skills is a required subject in the 7th grade. In high school it’s called something super fancy with “sciences” on the end. DS took it last year and loved it because he got to cook and make his own set of PJ’s. DD on the other hand, refused to take it saying that if she wanted to learn to cook and sew, I could teach her. She opted for cabinetmaking (woodshop) instead.

Totally off topic, but there was a news story, when I was still living in Atlanta. Apparently when people were buying tickets for the 1996 Olympic events in Atlanta, they had MANY callers from New Mexico calling to buy their tickets. No problem…right? They were told they to buy them FROM THEIR OWN COUNTRY. The dorks working at the call center [based in Atlanta, I might add] did not believe that New Mexico was a state! :doh:

There was such a joke about it, that as other countries rented houses, etc. for “embassies” in Atlanta, one guy actually turned his house into the “New Mexician Embassy” NO JOKE!