Converting Yarn/Needle Sizes

This is confounding me…

Found this interesting set of shrugs here
http://twosisters.lothruin.com/shrugs.html
and I’ve got 4 2-oz. skeins of Bernat Berella Sportspun in a nice plum color to use for it.

Problem is…there’s no “TENSION” (gauge) instruction for the one I want to make (B, it’s the one on the far left though it’s hard to see). “C” has a gauge, but it’s using a different yarn…

PLUS…the needles specified are wonky. Style “B” says Mary Maxim Needles No. 8, 1 (American 5, 13), which doesn’t seem to correspond to the chart of needles I have here on my wall…Wouldn’t size “8” be a “6”???

I made a swatch on size 8 American (yep, I didn’t read far enough…) in K1, P1 ribbing and got 5-1/2 sts and 6 rows to an inch, but I have no idea how this will play out. There just isn’t enough to go on…The yarn wrapper says (in stockinette) 5-1/2 sts & 7 rows to an inch on size 6, but I think that just confuses the issue. Hmmm :thinking: , what to do? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Did they not put in a gauge because it doesn’t matter? I mean, it’s not a fitted garment or anything…

Diane

Since B seems to be knitted in a flat piece, I think that you can make it as wide as you want and as long as you want. Use whatever needles give you a fabric that you like and don’t worry too much about gauge.

Thanks so much, Ingrid!

I’ll go for it. But since I hate to seam things, I’m gonna try the magic loop trick for the bottom of the sleeves. Hope I can get it to work.

Diane