Converting pattern to knitting in the round--HELP

So, I want to knit my daughter a little toddler dress. I made one last year, but now that I’m a bit better :happydance: I’m hoping to make it a little easier on myself. You are to knit one side then the other and seam together. Yuck. If I cast on all and join to knit in round on second row do I reverse the stitch?
If pattern says this:
OR Row 1 K8 *YO [slip 2, K!, PSSO] repeat from * to last 8, knit
Row 2 K8, (YO, slip 1, K1, PSSO) repeat from * to last 8 knit

What do I do if knitting in round??? :??
Row 2 P8 (YO, slip 1, P1, KSSO)??

I would just test this out, but as I’ll be casting on 232 stitches I would rather not :wall:
Thank you for any help!
Kim

One thing that you have to remember when converting a pattern to the round is that the wrong side stitches not only have to be switched from purl to knit, the direction in which you knit the stitches should be reversed, as well. That applies to the types of decreases you use.

A dec that is a slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over is a left leaning decrease. If you are supposed to do this on the back side as well, it would appear as a right leaning decrease on the front. If you’re working in the round, you have to convert the dec to a right leaning one, like k2tog.

Your directions for the rows confuse me, though, because one has a double dec and one has a single dec. Which is correct? Or is this the way the pattern is written?

You also have to consider that the panels of your dress start and end with 8 stitches, so you’d have to accommodate these at the beginning and half-way point so you’d start with k8, work the pattern, k16, work the pattern, k8 in order to get the same look.

You should also decrease a stitch from each side of each panel, a total of 4 to account for the seam allowance in the flat pattern.

Your row 1 pattern st would be k8, yo, skp and your row 2 pattern st would be yo, kXtog (2 or 3 depending on whether it’s a double dec or not).

I’d say overall that this isn’t the easiest pattern to convert to the round. I think a couple of seams would be easier.

You could try it on a swatch without having to cast on all the stitches, though.

Wow, I was just going to ask if anyone knew how to convert a flat pattern to knit in the round.

I’m planning on making Leo for my dad for christmas. As I was casting on for the back, I wondered how easy/difficult it would be to convert it to knit in the round.

I guess it doesn’t really make a difference to me, I was mostly just curious.

Or, if anyone knows a site online that explains it that’d help too. :slight_smile:

(Not that Ingrid’s explanation wasn’t good enough. :wink: )

Leo would be pretty much a piece of cake. Just figure out how many stitches you need to keep the ribbing even all the way around. They have you start and end with k3 so that when you seam it it will look like a k5. You’d have to adjust for that, but that’s all.

w00t! I think I’ll give it a shot. :slight_smile:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

One more thought - when you do you gauge sample, don’t do it the way you usually would. Instead of turning the work over and K one row, P one row, at the end of each row, carry your yarn loosely across the back and begin every row on the same side. The swatch will look weird, but - not everyone knits and purls at the same tension.

Happy stitching!

Wow. I didn’t think I would have to think that much. I did type it wrong :blush: though. Row 1 is K8 YO [slip1 K1 PSSO]. Maybe I will try the one that is just knit/purl, which would be all knit?

I don’t know what my problem is with seaming. I watch the video over and over and it looks okay for a bit. I am just never happy with the end product.

Thank you!

Yes, to get stockinette in the round (knit a row, purl a row for flat) all you need to do is knit.

Actually, if you have a lacy pattern that is only purled on the back, that’s pretty easy to convert to circs, since you just have to knit the ‘wrong side’ rows instead of purling. You run into more confusion when there are increases or decreases on the purl side that you have to reverse.