Continental Method

I’m interested in learning the Continental Method of knitting. I learned to knit as a child and I never learned to wrap the yarn around my finger. In other words, the yarn just hangs in the back and I grab it and wrap around the needle. I knit pretty fast this way believe it or not, but my knitting has always been huge. I was thinking I should probably learn to wrap the yarn around my finger to control the tension, but I wondered if I should just take it one step further and learn the contintental method instead. I’ve watched the videos and it looks interesting. Is it superior to the western style?

Thanks,
Melissa

Try crocheting a littel first and see how that feels. I been knitting for years and years and thought I’d never get the hang of conti. THen I took a crochet class and that made AAAAAaaal the difference. I know how to conti now but I don’t really use it. But I could if I wanted too. :rollseyes:

Superior…depends on who you talk to :wink:

It’s generally considered faster, but you know, for some people one method just comes a lot easier than the other. For me, personally, I just could not get the hang of throwing, and when I learned Continental, it was a big “A-HA!” It was soooo much easier for me. When I watch people knit English it confounds me…conti just seems so much simpler. But that’s just me…you should give it a try and see how it works out! (It did take me a week or two to really be comfortable wrapping the yarn around my finger…I think that’s pretty normal though.)

Many thanks for the answers. I’ve been knitting the clogs on the knit along thread, but I think I will try a simple scarf using the continental method. I’m so used to not wrapping the yarn around my finger (since I’ve been knitting as a child), that learning to wrap would probably be just as difficult as just learning the conti. I figure a simple scarf would give me that knit over and over and purl over and over. I really do need to do something different to improve my tension because without wrapping, I have to go way down in needle size to compensate for knitting loosely.

Melissa