Continental knitting

how do you keep the yarn on your left index finger in front of the first knuckle?
mine keeps falling down between my fingers and I can’t knit that way.

I’d like to know this, too! I want to learn continental. :shrug:

Hmmm…Maybe hold your left hand further down on the left needle? I wrap my yarn in one loop around my left pinkie, then under the ring and middle fingers, then over the index at about the first knuckle down from finger tip. Sometimes I will wrap twice around my index, depending on the slippery-ness of the yarn.

I don’t know if this helps or not…are you maybe pointing your index finger up? I don’t point it up; I point it more towards the left needle tip.

Have you tried watching Amy’s videos? She knits continental, maybe that would help.

Good luck!

Just relax your left forefinger. When you do, it automatically curves so that the second joint – the part where the yarn lies – is almost parallel to the left needle. The yarn should lie comfortably, even a bit loosely, over that joint. As long as you don’t stick your finger straight up (a common occurence if you’re tense), the yarn can’t and won’t slide down past your knuckle.

If you’re used to English knitting, where the right forefinger takes a much more active role, it will take a little practice to relax the left one, but it shouldn’t take long to get the feel of it.

I wrap the yarn around my index finger twice and keep my finger parallel with the left needle. Also, the bottom of the yarn runs between the base of my index finger and my middle finger so I can easily control the tension.
Hope this helps.

Diane

I wrap the yarn around my index finger twice and keep my finger parallel with the left needle. Also, the bottom of the yarn runs between the base of my index finger and my middle finger so I can easily control the tension.
Hope this helps.

Diane

Heres how I do Con.

Momwolf, great video.

thanks!

I think my fingers are definitely too tense.

I’ve been trying to hold it like I remember my great grandmother holding her crochet, with her finger pointed up but bent at the end, and besides not working it gives me a cramp. :ick:

I will try to absorb it all after work…

You have to hold the yarn in a way that’s comfortable for you, not how your grandmother or people in the videos hold it. Look at other people’s style and try them out, but use whatever works best for you.

sue