Continental knitting?

I’m a thrower but have decided to try to learn continental today. I figured knowing both ways would be handy. Well, I THINK I have the general idea. The problem is when I purl, my stitches are then facing the wrong way, which makes them hard to knit into. What am I doing wrong?

watch the video again. you are wrapping the yarn the wrong direction. i did the same thing for the longest time and had no idea i was doing it. it wasn’t until watching a video on something else that i noticed Amy was wrapping her yarn a different direction I was. After i changed directions i didn’t have that problem with the backwards stitches.

i don’t purl as quickly now though cuz i still have a hard time going the right direction out of habit but i am okay with that. i did read this week though that if you do wrap it “backwards” you can do your knit stitches through the back of the loop to untwist them.

You’re right. I didn’t actually watch the video before I did it. I had an idea of how I thought it worked and went for it. I had to watch the short video 4 times before I understood what she was doing. I must say, I don’t like it. I liked the way I was purling before much better.

:teehee: I don’t like it either. it is much smoother and quicker to do it the other way i think. the option is to knit into the back of the loop which isn’t a bad option I think. :shrug:

(if only i can remember to do that now!)

I’m going to try to describe my purling method because of course, I don’t do any knitting normally! I knit continental, but I throw with my left hand. When I purl, I actually hold the yarn in front of the work between by index finger and my thumb, with the needle under the other three fingers. I lift the yarn slightly over the right needle and just pull it through. It is very fast. It sounds weird, I know, but the stitches are wrapped correctly and its very speedy.

sabrina…if you like the way you were purling better but it was twisted, you might want to look at the combination method video. If you knit into the back of the twisted stitch instead of the front it might untwist them and make them “right”.