Continental knitter has trouble with anglo patterns

Hi everyone,

I’ve done a lot of knitting and prefer Aran style patterns, but have never had much luck with lacy knits. This is mostly because some of the instructions make no sense to me, e.g.:

'SSK = Slip 1 stitch, Slip next stitch, Knit these two slipped stitches together

To me that sounds just like a normal knitting together of 2 stitches in the conti manner. Am I right or could someone enlighten me?

Thanks
chaos

I didn’t know there was a difference in ssk between knitting types, but my understanding of ssk is to slip two stitches individually as if to knit on to the right needle, then insert your left needle in through the front of these two stitches and knit them from there.

The end result looks like you’re knitting the two stitches though the back loop as normal, but you twisted the stitches first.

Thanks Ingrid. I found the videos in the glossary almost as soon as I posted this topic and now your explanation makes perfect sense to me!

I’m so thrilled to have found this site as it is going to sort out quite a few problems for me. Here I come for a wonderful winter of sewing!