Confusing row

Hey, I’ve just started the decrease row for my hat. I’ve been working in 2x2 rib but where it says row 28 K1, P2, K2, P2; Rep from*

Doesn’t doing this mean I’ll be purling a knit stitch and knitting a purl stitch? And the rib will be all messed up.

By the way I’m knitting this in the round instead of rows like it says.

Thanks :slight_smile:

Cast on 56 sts.
Rows 1-26: Work 26 rows in k2, p2 Rib.
Row 27 (Dec Row): *K2, p2, k2, p2tog; rep from * across row – 49 sts remaining at the end of this row.
Row 28: *K1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 29 (Dec Row): *k2, p2tog, k2, p1; rep from * across row – 42 sts.
Row 30: *K1, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 31: *K1, k2tog; rep from * across row – 28 sts.
Cut yarn, leaving an 8 in. (20.5 cm) tail. Thread tail through sts of last row and pull tightly to secure.

You’ve decreased a stitch on the previous row which is where the k1 one is. However, when you convert from flat to in the round you actually work the WS rows in reverse order so you would be doing k2, p2, k2, p1. Just knit the knit stitches and purl the purl sts as they appear on this round and that will keep you in the rib pattern.

Ahh I see it now! Just rechecked the knitting, Thanks :slight_smile:
Silly question though, what do you mean when you say Work the WS Rows?

The word ‘work’ is a generic term that means knit or purl according to the pattern, rather than using knit as a verb. You’ll find it used a lot in knitting rather than a more specific word.

Sorry I meant ‘WS’ rather than work! :slight_smile:

WS=Wrong Side
It’s the side that will be inside on your hat.
RS=Right Side
The side that will be outside on your hat. I’ve also seen it called the public side.

Not a silly question. Knitting has a language all it’s own. It’s not difficult to learn but can easily trip you up if you don’t know. There is a Glossary link at the top of the page that I’ve found very helpful for abbreviations.

Happy knitting!

If you’re knitting flat you have WS rows, the ones that will be on the inside when you wear something. Knitting in the round is always knitting on the RS, the outside, and when you convert a pattern from knitting flat, you have to reverse the rows that would be the WS ones both the stitches themselves and the order you knit them. Most patterns do the decs or incs on the RS rounds or rows so the ones in between would be the WS.