Confusing pattern, please help!

patterns

Hi!! I’m a bit of a baby knitter and I’m having trouble with a project. I am trying to make a scarf for a specific costume. This is the pattern I am using Rikku Scarf pattern She says to use 3 strands of lace weight yarn at once. But she does not say what size needles to use. I have tried SO MANY different needle sizes. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to make it wider that 2.5 inches, when I want it to be 3.5 inches like the pattern says it will be. I am hesitant to CO more stitches because of how specific the pattern is. Can anyone help me?? I don’t know what to do!

3 strands of laceweight will roughly equal sport weight yarn or DK weight which is generally knit with 3.75mm/US 5 or 4mm/US 6.
The photo on the linked pattern page shows what looks like a set of blue coloured dpns. If they are knitpicks needles, which they do look like, then that colour is for size 4mm.
Hope this helps and good luck with your project :smile:

Thank you so much!! That does help a lot. Think there is anything I can do about wanting it to be longer or will adding stitches mess up the pattern?

Do you mean the width ?
Looking at just the repeated section of the pattern #sl2wyif,k2# it appears to cover 4 sts. If you add any multiple of 4 to the 38 sts you are told to cast on, 42 46… I don’t think it will throw the pattern off but - I have never knit this stitch before so cannot be sure!! Bear in mind that after the scarf is finished, you wash and pin it to size and it will stretch quite a bit in any case!!
As the full repeat only covers 14 rounds it might be worth trying if you want a much wider scarf :blush: